Bathing question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bathing question

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultBathing question

I never bath Alfie, he normally keeps clean by swimming. Now im assuming its too cold for him to swim at the moment, even though he wants to I have to stop him..but he is getting pretty wiffy :vomit:

How cold is too cold for swimming? I really dont want him getting ill

I cant bath him upstairs as he refuses to climb them plus he would never fit in out bath tub

Outside with a hose isnt an option either if it is too cold outside

Ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Bathing question

I hardly ever wash our dog, either. Don't they have a dry "shampoo"? And I think there are dog "wipes" too. I've never tried either though.

justine is offline Senior Member

Well luckily Abbey is a small Lab mix.. only ~45 lbs (20kg) so she fits in my bath tub!

I know there was a posting up here not too long ago about how cold is too cold, but I know a lot of people still let their dogs swim when there is snow and temps are below 32F (0C).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDragonLady
    I hardly ever wash our dog, either. Don't they have a dry "shampoo"? And I think there are dog "wipes" too. I've never tried either though.
    Nor me havent seen them yet, i know you can get a horse shampoo that you dont wash out though

Quote Originally Posted by kal3idoscope
    Well luckily Abbey is a small Lab mix.. only ~45 lbs (20kg) so she fits in my bath tub!

I know there was a posting up here not too long ago about how cold is too cold, but I know a lot of people still let their dogs swim when there is snow and temps are below 32F (0C).
    Well it rarely drops below 0 here, surely if its too cold he wont go in?

justine is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf

Labs were bred to have thick coats to go in and out of freezing cold ocean water... Obviously if he's soaking wet he might need some help drying off to warm up, but it really depends on the dog. Abbey doesn't swim ever, but she'll go into the water.

If there is ice I wouldn't let them swim but other than that they should be fine if they have a normal double coat.
    If he's just a little stinky can you try using the listerine spray first just mix 50/50 listerine and water and put it in a spray bottle and spray them down and use a towel to wipe them off.

Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf

Labs were bred to have thick coats to go in and out of freezing cold ocean water... Obviously if he's soaking wet he might need some help drying off to warm up, but it really depends on the dog. Abbey doesn't swim ever, but she'll go into the water.
    I swear my dog was a fish in a former life

Quote Originally Posted by bacatherine
    If there is ice I wouldn't let them swim but other than that they should be fine if they have a normal double coat.
    If he's just a little stinky can you try using the listerine spray first just mix 50/50 listerine and water and put it in a spray bottle and spray them down and use a towel to wipe them off.
    Hasnt been cold enough for ice yet, his coat is pretty thick so im assuming he has the double coat. Will try the Listerine spray 1st though thanks!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I don't bathe mine all that much. I just bought a foaming waterless shampoo similar to this: http://www.thenaturaldogshop.com/wat...-pr-16373.html that works great.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My Bess had a thick coat and never saw a body of water she didn't want to swim in (and tried to).

We lived for many years near a pond. In good seasons, I threw in her Training Dummmy which she'd retrieve over and over.

In winters, when the water didn't have ice on it, she still wanted to swim so I took a large bath towel with me to dry her off as soon as she finished swimming.

When the ice was very thin, we did the same.

Whenever it was thick enough to break into pieces that might cut her, we restricted retrieves to dry land.

When the ice was strong enough to hold her, she sometimes retrieved on the frozen surface (but I had to teach her NOT to take her usual running leap and splash into the lake).

If you give her a bath with a dedicated DOG shampoo (not human or human baby shampoos), an occasional one shouldn't hurt.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

mydogmiles is offline Senior Member

Half listerine (the nasty yellow kind) and half water in a spray bottle. Brush him well, spritz thoroughly, and brush again to help the solution penetrate the coat.

Miles gets this treatment once a week or so, hasn't had a bath in over a year, and smells fine. He also hasn't been able to swim in a few months, due to schedules and weather.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast