Would you foster?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you foster?

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

DefaultWould you foster?

Hi all

A friend found a lost (actually we think abandoned) chocolate lab girl on sunday on the mountain where we go biking every weekend. Poor girl was very dehidrated and skinny and the locals told him she had been around the area for over a week (hence why we think she was abandoned, otherwise the owner would have found her - she was at the parking area, not lost in the woods).

My friend took her to his house but his wife gave him a "week" to find a place for her, she´s not a dog person and they already have another lab which by the way is very dominant with other dogs.

I´m considering fostering her until we find a permanent house, but I´m not sure if I will be up to the challenge. I live alone and already have a lot of work taking care of Misha and Homer. New house has plenty of space for the dogs, but you know, more food, more pee, poop, hair, walking with three (my two are leash trained, a third could ruin my work)...

Last problem is age. According to the vet who checked the girl she´s around 12 to 15 months (pure bred lab, actually a beautiful girl), my two kids are 24 and 17 months...

I want to help her, but I don´t know if I would be able to handle the mess of three... BTW she is in Mexico City, otherwise I would offer her to anyone here at the forum wanting to adopt her...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Would you foster?

Maybe a stupid question...but are there any lab rescues near by? Maybe you could contact them and figure out a solution that would suit everyone?
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Unfortunately not. Mexico doesn´t have the humane associations and breed specific rescue orgs. If we take her to a humane association she would probably either be put to sleep or have to spend her life with very poor quality (eating low quality food, living in very crowded conditions, etc.)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Well, fostering isn't that big of a jump in routine actually. But you would need to get her vaccinated, and spayed if you were going to do it proper like. Only other recommendation would be to get her to Texas somehow and get her into lab rescue there.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

I'd do it. Besides its just until you find a good home for that sweet pup. A little inconvenience is worth the difference in it's life IMO.

brody is offline Senior Member

personally me?

yes I would - in a heartbeat

it might mean walkng her alone for a bit - and a little disruption in my routine but fostering brings me WAY more than it takes from us
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

If you foster her it will be something you will remember for the rest of your life.
    Olie

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

In the circumstances you describe...yup.

I would take her in.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackandyellow
    Unfortunately not. Mexico doesn´t have the humane associations and breed specific rescue orgs. If we take her to a humane association she would probably either be put to sleep or have to spend her life with very poor quality (eating low quality food, living in very crowded conditions, etc.)
    Oh ok. I didn't know this. In that case like the others said...take her in and actively look for a good home for her. You will figure things out. And you've got the folks over here to help guide you through it all
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast