Puppy Acne???

Thread: Puppy Acne???

DefaultPuppy Acne???

When Rukus was a little guy (less than a year old), we had him in at the vets office and showed them the red bumps on his chin. They checked it to make sure it wasn't ringworm (which it wasn't) and diagnosed it as puppy acne. Since then we've been really careful to make sure that his food and water dishes are clean (something they also suggested).

Fast forward to present time. Rukus is now 3 1/2 and the "acne" is back in full force. His chin is full of these big red bumps. Has anyone seen this?? Any idea what it could be??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Puppy Acne???

Mocha had that when she was about 2 years old. What type of bowls are you using for food and water? I had a ceramic food bowl and plastic (jug type) water bowl, I switched to stainless steel for both and she hasn't had one since. I know others that said they wipe their chin when they are done eating or drinking to keep it dry.

Rukus has a ceramic bowl for water and a stainless bowl for food. I wonder if it is because he gets it wet....drooling for food is a favorite activity of his. :vomit:

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

"puppy acne" can be caused/made worse by moisture. Abbey has it on her stomach, so whenever she gets wet, I have to make sure it's 100% dry or it pops up.

I have also heard about the stainless steel bowls helping, but Abbey doesn't get in on her chin at all, so I'm not sure.

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

Jake, my black lab from 2 generations back had puppy acne, they were just as you described, red bumps which would reach a head and burst like teenage zits!~ :vomit:

The vet said because he was a vigorous eater, he was pushing his chin into the food and blocking his pores, causing the spots, he suggested just wiping his chin with a piece of kitchen paper after eating.

He outgrew it as he reached 2 or 3 and it never returned.

Is Ruskus a hearty eater?

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

Harlee is going through the exact same thing again...she is a year and a half uses stainless steel dishes, Im anxious to hear what others say too