Just Labradors banner

Macy : 14 months, not spayed, acting like jacka$$

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  justine 
#1 ·
Uy yuy yuy.

She's trying very hard to be the dominant dog in our house. Tucker won't have it, Frankie likes it I think. :laugh: Anyway, that's not what I'm concerned about, they'll work that out. She's been very aggressive on our walks the last couple of days. She pulls me like there's no tomorrow and then when I try to get her back she pulls back as hard as she can and won't budge. She's always on a scent when she's doing this. Also, when she sees another dog when we're walking, she pulls me toward them, barking and growling while doing it. Almost knocked me over yesterday when another Golden went by. I was so embarrassed, the people were looking at me like "what the hell is wrong with your dog?". :embarrass:

This is not like her. Up until now, she walked by my side, and if another dog goes by I make her sit and stay. She'll try to get up, but then I put her back in a sit/stay. I don't understand what's going on. :no:

#3 ·
Ugh. Macy, Macy, Macy. :no:

I went through a similar phase with Boo at around the same time. Maybe a little younger. Its like a second adolescence. Right smack in the middle of winter when the sidewalks were all icy. :hurt: This was when we switched her over to a martingale collar and, since we do the clicker training, I began bringing kibble and the clicker on my walks. She literally didn't have breakfast in a bowl for a couple of months - she would get all her food on her walks until she finally got a good heel.

I don't know if Macy is as food motivated as Boo is, but if you like to use positive reinforcement this might be an option for you.

#4 ·
I don't know if Macy is as food motivated as Boo
That's funny!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
She's the most food motivated dog I ever met!! That's a good idea...I always have cookie pieces in my pocket on our walks, maybe I'll switch that over to her kibble. She's already on a martingale, I'm ready to try a prong with her.

#5 ·
HK went through this also. I always have treats in my pockets. Always! Left pocket of whatever I am wearing belongs to HK. GL helped, don't use it anymore.

Might try avoidance. Requires youto see the distraction that the dog is going to respond to and reverse or change paths.

#6 ·
Requires youto see the distraction that the dog is going to respond to and reverse or change paths.
We do that, Ed. In this case though, we were just leaving our driveway so I had nowhere to go. :crazy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.