Reflective collars make a big difference!

Thread: Reflective collars make a big difference!

TrappersMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultReflective collars make a big difference!

I drive home from work through residential neighborhoods full of people walking their dogs. It's dark out and pretty hard to see them as they cross the street. People wear shoes with little shiny swooshes but they're not real noticeable when they're moving at a walking pace on a sidewalk.

There was a couple out walking two dogs the other night. One was a black Lab wearing a reflective collar and that was the only reflective article among their group. That otherwise invisible dog stood out like a beacon because of that collar.

If you walk your dogs outside of daylight hours, please consider investing in a reflective collar.
    Dot in Northern Illinois

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Reflective collars make a big difference!

I'd go one further and say get one with lights

Hank's reflective collar does very little unless the car light hits him sideways

I got him and Brody new light collars at the Royal (yah I spent my yearly budget there) and I am THRILLED with them.
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

amazongold is offline Senior Member

You can get little red blinky lights for a couple of dollars. Some clip on the ring on their collar where the tags go, and some have a flat, plastic clasp on the back that slides over the collar itself or the leash. We always had them on Shadow's collar, because we could just let her out without having to tie her. We'd follow her progress around the yard by watching the light move - like the little bouncing ball over song lyrics on TV! LMBO
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

I need to get one of those for Abbey eventually.. Most of the time we are on the sidewalk if it's dark, but still, you never know with these icy roads!!

I had the clip on light the past few months along with :surprise: reflective leash, we just got Shelby a color that has lights that blink all around, has worked great, except not waterproof, we kinda forgot to take it off :embarrass: when she was playing in the river the other day, but we took the battery out and dried it all out, works fine again.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Clips on the collar lights are fine except I still do off leash walks in the dark and you can't see the dog when he's running away from you if they are only at the front !

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrappersMom
    There was a couple out walking two dogs the other night. One was a black Lab wearing a reflective collar and that was the only reflective article among their group. That otherwise invisible dog stood out like a beacon because of that collar.
    Precisely why, I wear a small flashlight around my neck, I have a red blinking light clipped on the handle of Lexi's leash & LEXI HAS A REFLECTIVE JACKET! Like a black lab, she is very difficult to see at this time of year.

Let me tell you, the Land's End Pet Squall reflective jackets absolutely work. I actually had a local police officer, stop me one morning and tell me "That jacket works really well. When my headlights hit it, I could tell you were up the road. I couldn't tell what it was, but I absolutely knew you were there!" That was enough justification for me to keep her wearing it, even though labs don't need jackets.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

We have a LED collar the lights up a tube around HK's neck. It has a blinking or a steady on option. After dark, it goes on is we are going to leave our property.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.