Need Opinions on Barney
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Opinions on Barney

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed Opinions on Barney

I took Tal and Barney to a fenced in field close to where we live this afternoon when I got home. After we played for about 45 minutes, I took them for a walk. Every so often Barney would act like he was scared of something. It was at different places. He had his prong collar on and I just kept walking and not letting on. Praised him and gave him a treat when he did well. For the life of me I couldn't figure what could have spooked him. This happened at three different spots, and nothing was common to the situations as best I could tell. Other than those three times, he did great and seemed to enjoy the outing.

Tal never let on about anything. Oh, he would want to sniff something occasionally, as would Barney, but that's pretty normal stuff. I am stumped completely. I will say that when I never let on, Barney calmed down as quickly as he got spooked and we walked on as if nothing had occured. I figure the best thing is to not let on and just keep walking. I'm open for ideas!?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need Opinions on Barney

Big hint here:
    Young dog... 8)

Seamus and Flynn

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom
    Big hint here:
    Young dog... 8)
    lol..well he's 10 months. I don't remember Tal ever getting spooked, but he probably did and I just don't remember it! But ya he (Barney) is still a baby. I just don't want him to become skittish about everything. I'm probably worring for nothing. I just want him to be happy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

What do you mean by scared, was he flinching and looking backwards? My dog had a back/nerve problem where he would get shots of pain that would make him flinch as if he was scared and he would quickly look backwards towards me as if I pinched his butt or something. Perhaps an injury rather than scared?

or

Was it windy? On an otherwise nice day my dog has been frightened by large gusts of wind.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I agree with Paddysmom - he's a puppy with irrational fears. You are doing the right thing in not encouraging the phobias.

Gene Guest

Don't worry, Guy. He's just a pup. Merlot use to get scared at blowing news papers when he was that age.

Tundra Aries Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom
    Big hint here:
    Young dog... 8)
    yep

georgie is offline Senior Member

I think it is just his age. You did the right thing by just acting the same & not let on you noticed him him acting scared. Both of mine when they were that age would get skittish about a leave blowing or some unknown )to me anyway) noise or thing on our walks.
    Not giving him attention or acting differently when he does that is the best thing to do.

The first thing I do when one of my dogs reacts to something (not often, but Ruby went through this 'thing' where she refused to walk over the railway tracks...at about 10 months old) is turn and walk passed the area again. Until they stop reacting. Never a word, we just go back and start over.

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

Princess was scared of everything different at that age.
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast