Scary encounter on walk

Thread: Scary encounter on walk

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultScary encounter on walk

Yesterday morning Bauer and I went for our normal walk (we walk down a country road that is lined with wooded areas, farm land, and a few houses). We were about 1/3 of a mile from home when we encountered a coyote :surprise:. I saw something in the woods out of the corner of my eye, but it took a minute to register what it was. It walked out of the woods about 10 feet in front of us and didn't seem to notice us until Bauer started barking :scare:. The coyote whipped around to face us when luckily a guy came by in a truck and blew his horn, the coyote turned and ran across the road in the opposite direction. I have seen coyotes around here in the past, but never that close. Scariest thing I have ever seen, and my "brave" dog barked then cowered behind me . I did take him for a walk this morning, but with both eyes wide open. Bauer didn't seem affected in the least. Does anyone know if coyotes tend to stay in the same area, or is he long gone by now?
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Scary encounter on walk

I think they have a certain range but I don't know what it is. I saw the same coyote almost daily for many years but I haven't been walking in the woods and fields as regularly as I used to with the dogs. We haven't crossed paths in some time.

This particular one cross in front of us many times on our road, especially early morning. There is a well worn path there. I never worried too much because it was clear that the coyote wanted nothing to do with us and was eager to get out of our path.

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

They are usually more scared of you and you are of them.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Eeek. That would have freaked me out, too. Glad nothing happened!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

We have a couple in a park near our house. Every now and then someone encounters them. It seems like they stand and watch out of curiosity at 50 ft. Occassionally we encounter one at ~25 ft. When it happens, the coyote and the dogs, tend to back away from each other, and the coyote turns and walks off, checking behind him, after they separate 10-20 feet more.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.