Experienced Breeders/Show/Handlers Help Needed ~ ASAP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Experienced Breeders/Show/Handlers Help Needed ~ ASAP

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultExperienced Breeders/Show/Handlers Help Needed ~ ASAP

I'm asking her on behalf of Bentley's littermate owner and ANY help or suggestions you could give me to pass on would be greatly appreciated.

M's show debut was a disaster. He was the best dog in his class but got nothing - on Saturday he growled and went after the yellow dog ahead of him in the ring!
    He likes people and is gentle but he's become quite a nasty dog - barking and lunging at other dogs. Owner decided not to bring him on Sunday. Conformation wise - he's a beautiful animal - but mentally he's got to have a change of attitude.
    Three weeks ago he 'dug a hole' in the kitchen floor and "J" had to speed up his plan to replace flooring. "M" has a different quality of life all of a sudden. He no longer sleeps in their bed and has full run of the house. He now sleeps in a kennel and has limited house access.
    This is a puppy who was put on a pedestal because he was cute. He knew a few tricks with cookies and his owners liked getting compliments on him. He walked on a harness because a chocker was considered too cruel. "E" tried to tell them that this dog has to be under control. He went everywhere with "J" and "A". Now we have a monster. He's going to NEED major intervention with obedience to correct this barking and lunging at other dogs.
    His Father is a VERY dominant male who is doggy aggressive towards other males and I'm guessing that this is where "M" is getting it. Mother is head strong but not aggressive. NO other puppy from that litter is showing any of this attitude. They are all doing their 'bad' stuff from time to time.
    The funny thing is that at an off leash park...."M" runs up to other dogs tail wagging not barking - wants to make friends and then runs back to his owner.

It seems that there's a battle going on when he's on lead between handler and dog.

*please keep in mind - I have two labs of my own from this same father - and well, you know what Rowan and Bentley are like.

Any ideas??
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Experienced Breeders/Show/Handlers Help Needed ~ ASAP

Eek. Sorry no help here, but I hope someone else can help!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Why do they want to show him?

The reason I ask is that conformation shows are (in general) put in place and competed in in order to determine breeding stock, and IMO, a dog with that much of a temperamental flaw should never be bred.

If they want to show him, there's lots of other options for them (rally, obedience, etc), I would neuter him and pursue other avenues.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317

The reason I ask is that conformation shows are (in general) put in place and competed in in order to determine breeding stock, and IMO, a dog with that much of a temperamental flaw should never be bred.

If they want to show him, there's lots of other options for them (rally, obedience, etc), I would neuter him and pursue other avenues.
    Playing devil's advocate, it may just be a socialization issue. However, probably a lot of work would be needed to overcome it. This dog sounds a bit like he's in charge.

I think it is a whole 'social status' thing happening for the owners - personally. But they have decided to show - so I'm just trying to help.. not saying I agree...

His Brother is fabulous in the 'show ring'....

labby is offline Senior Member

How old is this dog? Sounds to me like he's sexually maturing and like any teenage male, trying to be macho. This is the time this type of behavior needs to be nipped (no pun) before they end up completely ruining the dog (if he's not already).

I personally would forego the show ring for now and get this dog in obedience classes. Trust me, people are watching and see the dog's attitude and the breeder is going to pay the price for this because people are going to say "oh gosh, so and so breeds dogs with bad temperaments".

This dog needs a major attitude adjustment.

Laura

Dani is offline Senior Member

With all due respect, how is he "fabulous" in the show ring if he isn't very nice? Unfortunately, there are some dogs who are just not the greatest of temperaments in the ring. They are not judged on temps though...movement and the standard, unless the dog goes for the judge that is. I do agree with Kate though, I hate that they dont' really put much stock in temps.

But they are not doing the dog any favors if he is off away and kenneled. What's up with the change? Also, they need to get to as many fun matches as possible to get the dog exposed to the ring. It can be quite intimidating for a dog, and all of those smells, including bitches in heat, whoo....can really mess with a dog's head. IF they haven't gone to handling classes, then they really need to. This dog needs to be handled by many different and new people as possible. The judge puts their hands all over them and it can be crazy for a puppy.

So, if this is their first show, and he's been kenneled, and hasn't been out much, they shouldn't take him to another one. They need to get out to puppy matches, to classes and back to going everywhere with them to get him used to new situations.

I personally would neuter this boy and call it day though. JMO.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Labby - "M" is the same age as Bentley - his littermate, so they turned a year in November.

Dani - when I was refering to his 'brother' being fabulous in the show ring - I meant.. Bentley's OTHER brother Sebastian (not the aggressive one I am inquiring about for suggestions). Sorry, I should have made myself clear..... I agree, I don't think there is anything fabulous about this kind of behaviour.

Thanks for the suggestions/ideas.... keep em coming.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Alfie used to do the same, he had a leash aggression issue going on at around the same age Bentley is now and weirdly was fine off leash. Neutering stopped it in my case. Not tensing up on the lead when you approach another dog helps and teaching watch me when other dogs are close by. Also if they can help it keep away from other dogs on a lead.

Thats all i can suggest

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317

Agreed if the dog has this temperament, also neutering actually helped Alfie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast