Labradork folk dances: The entangled leash shuffle

Thread: Labradork folk dances: The entangled leash shuffle

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultLabradork folk dances: The entangled leash shuffle

As Labradork Folk Dances go, this is probably one of the more common. There is usually one human and at least two Labradors, at least one of which is a Labradork, or at least pretends to be a Labradork. If there is more than one human, the other threatens to go get the camera.

It starts with the sight of the lead. After several choruses of Mine! Mine! and Oh Joy A walk! A walk! Leads are fastened onto collars. At some point color coordination of lead/collar ceases to matter, followed by a note to next time, all black.
    The dance starts the moment the Labs sense the leads are on. They then bound to opposite sides of the human at the same time, opposite the hand that holds their lead. If the lead is held in the left hand, the Lab will leap to the right and vice versa. If the human is holding both leads in one hand, they will still go to opposite sides. And one will decide to check out something under the car, and go round the human. With the human now in the death Spiral, the first lab will sense a blade of grass on the opposite side of the parking lot. The imaginary sound track now switches to the William Tel Overture, or the Cavalry Trumpet Call for Charge!

The human has now completed the death spiral and is being anchored in place by the lab decoding the smell under van while being stretched by the other lab who could not care less about the neat smell under the van just inches away but must smell whatever it is on the far side of the galaxy.

Standing tall and summing up the image of assertive pack leader, the human gains control of the situation and the Labs come to huddle for instructions or it could be their curiosity of how the human made such interesting noises overpowered the scents. Either way the next step of the dance is about to start.

All three start forward together. Than Lab one inches ahead of Lab 2 who drops back to pass Lab 1 to smell something Lab 1 is ignoring.At this point the leads have crossed. Lab 1 circles behind the human as Lab 2 finishes and starts forward. Deft handwork allows the human to remain upright and walking forward as Lab 2 goes the opposite way and Lab 1 mirrors what lab 2 is doing and the human at a distance seems to either doing fast Tai Chi or Spanish Dance moves.

Eventually the leads cross and cross again and the shuffle starts until the human either makes those intriguing sounds or otherwise gets the Labs to stand still.

At this point the human remembers they have a Wye lead in their pocket, connects Lab 1 to one end of the Wye, Lab 2 to the other end of the Wye and one lead to the end of the Wye and the walk continues in a much more orderly fashion.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Labradork folk dances: The entangled leash shuffle

Hee Hee!

snicksmom is offline Senior Member

Love it!
    Sue & Snicks in New Hampshire

"I got the ball Mom....!!!"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

2muchfun is offline Member

Sounds familiar. I will now refer to my walks as our "folk dances". Hopefully remembering this story will help lighten the mood as I try to remain "upright".

I do this dance with 4 dogs, 2 labs, a GSD and a lab/GSD mix. I can only imagine what my neighbors think.

Now please tell me what this miracle Wye lead is, and where I can get one (or two). :embarrass:
    Jill, mom to Dakota (black lab) and Bandit (yellow lab) and Jack - GSD mix.

Foster mom for the Las Vegas Valley Humane Society.

justine is offline Senior Member

how true!