Just Labradors banner

can something be stuck in her throat?

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  henrysmom 
#1 ·
HI everyone~~ Shelby has been coughing like there something stuck in her throat, sometimes she gags trying to get whatever it is out, but nothing happens. This started on sunday, she is acting fine otherwise, no changes in her behavior, normal poop, eating fine etc... I am going to call the vet once they open, just thought i would throw it out there to see what you might think. Thanks!

Pam and Shelby

#9 ·
Thanks everyone, she has been vaccinated with Bortedella(sp), the vet wants me to give her benadryl for the next 24hrs for allergies and go from there. We were out of town for the holiday, so she was outdoors alot, different climate, so maybe just allergies. I'll keep ya posted.

#10 ·
crzy4margaritas said:
Thanks everyone, she has been vaccinated with Bortedella(sp), the vet wants me to give her benadryl for the next 24hrs for allergies and go from there. We were out of town for the holiday, so she was outdoors alot, different climate, so maybe just allergies. I'll keep ya posted.
Elias was vaccinated too. There are many different "versions" of KC and the vaccination doesn't kill them all.

#14 ·
blacklabelias said:
crzy4margaritas said:
Elias was vaccinated too. There are many different "versions" of KC and the vaccination doesn't kill them all.
Yes as Alfie still caught it after vaccine :whatever: and my vet prescribed antibiotics while his immune system was down :D

#17 ·
Is the Bordatella a spray that they inhale ?

That's the only treatment that I've ever had administered after Samson came back from the kennel with KC !

It's very distressing to dogs AND owners !

I meant that after his first bout I had the vet administer the spray before he was boarded again and he was OK - could be a coincidence ??

#19 ·
yep, the vet said benadryl for 24hrs and if no improvement bring her in. She had to have the vaccine in order to go to doggie daycare, she has been there about 5 times in the past few months, most recent was last wednesday. Do i need to do anything or just let it ride its course?
Thanks again everyone for all your replies. I'm gonna try and post a few pics, i always seem to have trouble doing it.

#21 ·
Let it ride it's course..I wouldn't even give benedryl personally. No contact with any dogs for up to two weeks after the last cough is heard. That means NO doggy day care for awhile.

#22 ·
I wouldn't give Benedryl either for KC. Exactly what Dani said, NO exposure to other dogs for about 2 weeks after symptoms resolve.

Henry also caught KC despite being vaccinated for it.

Colin, there's an intranasal vaccine and a subq one if I remember correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.