rescuing lab - any suggestions for essentials
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rescuing lab - any suggestions for essentials

Defaultrescuing lab - any suggestions for essentials

I went to a local animal league where they save dogs. I have wanted a lab for a while and fell in love with a 3 year old (they think)black lab. So did the application and they are neutering him so I should have him hopefully by the weekend. Just looking for some things I should make sure I have for him and any input for a new dog owner.

I went to petsmart and got a big bed for him, collar, leash, xl kong, bigger tennis ball, water/food bowls, and a dummies guide to labs. I was thinking of picking up a nylabone big chew knot bone after seeing people say good things on here, a brush, toothbrush and toothpaste, and food (when they tell me what he is on). I am looking for a crate on cl but might buy one at petsmart if I cant find one. Anyone recommend a size too?

Thanks for any input and I will post pics when I get him.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: rescuing lab - any suggestions for essentials

stock up on plenty of

PATIENCE

GOOD HUMOUR

and COMMON SENSE

and you'll do just fine

thanks for rescuing!
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

sarah is offline Senior Member

agree with Conrad. We can't wait to see pictures either.... thank you for rescuing him! Do you know what you'll call him yet?
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sarahnye
    agree with Conrad. We can't wait to see pictures either.... thank you for rescuing him! Do you know what you'll call him yet?
    Haha well I am going to go with a common name - Rocky

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Congrats!

Some other essentials...

-- Poop bags. A must!
    -- Towels. Necessary for wet/muddy dogs at this time of the year.
    -- Tag for his collar.
    -- Some sort of restraint for car travel. Crate/barrier/doggy seatbelt etc.

The only other thing I can say is read the forum inside out. There is a ton of information on here -- I doubt there are many subjects that haven't been covered at some point.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

The crate will be a necessity until you see how housebroken he is, and whether he can be trusted not to get into mischief. The large airline-type is good, as it is more closed-in and makes a dog feel safer. Also, he will need to be kept quiet for a couple of weeks until his stitches come out and he's fully healed. Then you can start playing with him and letting him run if you have a fenced yard.

Bless you for rescuing!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

Clear your social calendar and spend as much time as you can to bond with Rocky. He needs to know you are his leader. Be consistant. If there is more than one human involved, everybody must agree and do the same thing. Do not take him to public places until you can judge his willingness to listen to you. Keep him at home and in the yard for a while and maybe around the block. But get to know your dog so you can respond appropriately in public.

Select a vet. Check out a few and ask lots of questions. Get Rocky to the vet ASAP. Get him checked out and up to date if the rescue has not done so. Ask for any vet records they have.

Find a basic dog class. Not so much for Rocky as for you and any of his other human care givers. Learn the basic commands. The classes will also help in Rocky's social skills. Work on the commands and consider getting his Canine Good Citizen certification.

Do not abruptly change his food. Mix it together and slowly change the percentage until it is 100% the new feed. Pick a high quality food and watch to see if it truly agrees with him or not.
    If stools or loose or coat is dull, you may want to try a different feed.

Think of Rocky as a four footed wittle kid w/ a highly developed nose. Dog proof the house as you would with a little kid. Anything on the floor is his and if it is within nose reach it can be gone. Be sure to put food away, not just pushed back from the edge. Be aware of what foods can kill a Lab. Such as baker's chocolate, raisins if the quantity is big enough, and other things.

Make a first aid kit for Rocky. Hydrogen Peroxide, a turkey baster, cut stop.

Labs need a routine and a job. Clock his rest room habits and be sure he understands where he can go, and you understand how often he needs to go. Figure out something he can do to be a help. My Jack's job is to retrieve the cans of green beans he eats as part of his meals. Be sure to give time regularly for play and exercise.

HTH

LD

Thank you for rescuing!!! Please post some photos for us when you get him home!

Lots of love and you are good to go!!

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Thank you so much for rescuing Rocky. I don't think I have anything to add just patience and love.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Find a basic dog class. Not so much for Rocky as for you and any of his other human care givers. Learn the basic commands. The classes will also help in Rocky's social skills. Work on the commands and consider getting his Canine Good Citizen certification.
    I enthusiastically second this suggestion. My experience with 3 rescue dogs through the yeas has been that the best thing I did for them was to take them to beginning obedience class very early on. The classes cement your bond and get you and your 'new' dog' "talking the same language". At the same time the group/excitement will bring out any socialization problems and there your are, with expert help immediately at hand. Take the whole family along so they can learn the commands/signals and objectives of the class through observation; and then the family is more able to follow up with consistency at home.

Mine all went on to 'intermediate' obedience because they so enjoyed the classes. 8) The dog figures out very soon that one day a week he is taken somewhere just special for him, that it is lot's of fun, he gets lots of praise and treats for being 'smart', and his 'dogie dream' comes true - one on one attention. :-*
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast