Need Some Opinions

Thread: Need Some Opinions

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed Some Opinions

Hi Guys/Gals,
    I need your opinions on something. Before walking Breezy I try to get her to pee/poop in our yard, but this doesn't always happen. So, she will undoubtedly pee/poop on our walk. Our walk(s) can either be around the neighborhood/community, down on the beach, or both. Where we live ( the immediate area ) there are no dog parks or places you can take your dog except the beach ( in the off season ). So, we are left to walk on the sidewalks, or, like I said, the beach. This morning I was walking Breezy on the sidewalk past my neighbor's house. I never allow her to walk on people's lawns. However, she usually decides to pee/poop on the grassy area in between the street and the sidewalk, where most of the dogs go also. So, there she is this morning in that grassy area I just mentioned, right in front of my neighbor's house. As she was mid-poop, a truck comes down the street and pulls a U-ey in the middle of the road and parks along the curb, right in front of Breezy. A man I have never seen before gets out of the truck and starts toward the house. I clean up the poop, and look at the guy and say good morning. This was his response: "My daughter is getting real sick of all the dogs shitting on her lawn." Me: " I always pick up after my dog."
    Man: " Well we have to walk there you know." Me: "I always pick up after my dog." Obviously this guy was my neighbor's father. Anyway, he storms off and we continue on our way but it left me wondering if I am in the wrong here. I believe ( and I gotta find out for sure ) that the area of grass in between the street and the sidewalk is town property. Of course I would rather my dog do her business in OUR property, but that just doesn't happen 100% of the time. I never ever leave anything behind, but unfortunately some people do. Too many in fact. I was just wondering what you guys do with your dogs, and what you make of this. I don't want my neighbors thinking bad of me or my dog. Am I wrong here? It would be impossible to think that a dog would NOT feel the need to "go" where so many others have already been. I'd like to know what you guys think. Thanks!
    Catherine

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need Some Opinions

Well I have taught Abbey "potty" so she knows to go when I tell her "potty." I also don't allow Abbey to go on peoples' lawns if I can help it. I think if you taught Breezy the "potty" command by saying "potty" every time she goes, she'll eventually learn it so then you can tell her "potty" before you go on your walk.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

We walk our dogs and try not to let them poop on peoples lawns but no matter what, we pick up the poop. I see people walking their dogs and the pee/poop on my property and I don't care UNLESS they leave the poop. Then I open the door and ask them if they need a plastic bag to pick up their dogs poop. That usually takes care of them walking it in my yard. I think as long as you pick it up, no harm is done.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

I always walk Saba between me and the street - meaning that if he has to go, he also goes on the piece of lawn between the sidewalk and the street as I know people don't appreciate dogs peeing nor pooping on their lawns. I always pick up and never heard of anyone complaining (had a few people say "thank you" though).
    I believe doing it on that patch of grass is better than your dog being on someone's lawn. Where else are they suppoused to go? In the middle of the sidewalk?
    I'd say ignore the guy, if you always pick up after your dog, you shouldn't worry. Sometimes the non-dog lovers just complain to complain and put all dog owners in the same category.

I live in a townhouse development. The only place Nellie can poop and I don't have to clean it up is the woods which surround the development. Obviously I'm not going to walk the woods in the dark or when the weather is bad. I contacted animal control years ago to find out what the regs are.
    Here in Montgomery County, MD dogs can pee anywhere. Poop has to be cleaned up except in wooded areas.

If you're cleaning up I would ignore any unfriendly comments from people. The best thing is to not respond.

I had that happen to me once - and the guy doing the grousing was my neighbor (and friend's) husband. And my dog was not even pooping - I was just standing there with the dog talking to her. Jackass he was.

Anyway - the grass between the walk and the street is town property that the homeowner is required to maintain - which I think makes many people quite possesive of it. You are quite within your rights to allow your dog to go there if you do clean it up afterwards. I could not care less if people let their dogs pee/poop in that strip as long as they take the poop with them when they leave. The ones that allow their pup up onto my lawn to pee in my perennial bed (as has happened) - - they better watch out!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Ignore it. Easier said than done I know, but the sidewalk and grass verges are public property and providing you pick up, you are not doing anything wrong at all. Sadly us responsible owners sometimes get blamed for the stupid people that can't be bothered to clear up after their dogs. I once had a miserable old lady tut and shake her head with a digusted look because one of my dogs marked a tree on PUBLIC property. My reaction to her rediculous over reaction was that if she had a problem, she should feel free to say it to my face or mind her own bloody business. Needless to say, she wasn't impressed.

It is city owned - but homeowners are required to maintain. I know I can be quite possessive of my own "frontage". However, that being said, I would never call down anyone who actually picks up their 'doggie messes' ... its the ones that don't that cheese me off.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Mine all go in my yard (fenced in) before we walk, and even pee in my yard after the walk. They have never done anything while on the walk. I wish I could tell you how I trained them to do this, but they just do. A regular feeding schedule helps. I walk them for exercise at a quick pace and do not slow down for sniffing. Maybe that's why.
    All it takes is one inconsiderate dog owner to make people like your neighbor complain. In my case it was this fellow who brought his male dog over to my chain link fence to pee on my rose bush which died. He would also allow his dogs to pee on my lilies planted around my mail box. When I asked him to not allow his dogs to pee on my flowers, he became obnoxious.