Does anyone have those Tough Chew beds from Orvis?

Thread: Does anyone have those Tough Chew beds from Orvis?

DefaultDoes anyone have those Tough Chew beds from Orvis?

Are they any good? Are they actually chew-resistant?? (I realize that nothing is probably chew-proof!)

Mr. Oliver has a penchant for shredding (or attempting to shred) anything I put in his crate as a crate pad. I fear the dreaded Obstruction-While-I-Am-At-Work so I've been leaving him on the bare plastic crate pan. I know he probably doesn't give a flying fig, but it doesn't look/seem too comfy.

Any thoughts on the http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=9L8R&dir_id=1633&group_id =10570&cat_id=14353&subcat_id=14354"]Orvis Tough Chew Crate Pad[/URL]? I was thinking of getting one for each of the boys for Christmas...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Does anyone have those Tough Chew beds from Orvis?

Well...my friend has a chewer/shredder and she got the dog bed. They made a little hole in it, but no stuffing came out, SO, they stopped. Orvis will replace/refund if the dog destroys it. I bet their "tough chew" crate pads would be awesome too.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

I've wondered about those also. Teddy can shred any bed. I'm not sure that anything would stand up to him.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

I can't say I tried the Tough Chew mats, but I spent probably $100+ on stuff for Abbey's crate.. even tried old junky towels, but they were always destroyed so I gave up. Now she doesn't go in the crate at all so I don't have to worry about that...!

We had one. In their ad they said they were "Lab Proof." Oona destroyed it in 20 minutes on the second day. To Orvis' credit they reimbursed us the full price. After that we let Oona sleep in a bare crate and we supervised her on a bed outside the crate. If she put the bed in her mouth she got a correction. Now she leaves her beds and rugs alone and all of her fleece toys are intact.
    Olie

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

We have one (I can't get the link to work, but ours is a Tough Chew dog nest from Orvis) that we got as a "puppy shower gift" from my boss for our first dog. My boss swore by it as the only bed her Shiloh (a field lab) hadn't been able to destroy. It lasted about a year before Libby finally ripped the zipper out. Thankfully, true to word (their customer service is the BEST!), Orvis sent us a complete replacement (complete as in the outter cover, inner waterproof liner we purchased sep. and the "fluff") when we called customer service about the...ahem...problem. They said that they wouldn't replace it again, but that they *would* refund the money we spent on it, even though it was a gift card, should the bed be destroyed again.

It can't hurt, can it? Sure, a bunch of money, and sure, I probably wouldn't recommend leaving it unattended with a puppy who is a known chewer/shredder (like our Libby- who spent several months growing up without anything in her crate at all except a "Nylabone Durable"), but you either get it replaced or your money gets reimbursed down the road....not a bad deal overall. Almost like a "free lease" on a dog bed! LOL

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

georgie is offline Senior Member

Molly has one. Not the crate pads, but the big round bed. She destroyed every bed we bought her. So when I bought the Orvis Tough Chew...I figured we were safe. NOT!! She chewed a hole in the middle but there was no stuffing that came out. But I called Orvis and they did send me a replacement bed....even with her name monogramed on it again. They did not even want me to send the chewed one in. Very good customer service.
    The man did ask me what kind of dog I had, when I said a lab he laughed. He said of the three beds that have been returned (chewed), all three were chewed by labs.
    Someone chewed a little hole in the new one...not sure if it was Molly or Abby, but I just turned it over & Molly still uses it.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

We bought two chew-proof dog nests from Orvis to take to Libya, and sure enough, one was chewed up pretty badly. To be honest, it was the rectangular one, so the corners were clearly more vulnerable to attack. The round one was fine. I emailed them with pictures, and they wanted to know if we wanted a refund or replacement, no questions asked and they didn't want the old bed returned. They really do have awesome customer service.

We have two new ones here in Houston, but unfortunately they are not getting used because whenever we put them out, one of our cats decides to pee on them. :whatever:
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Good to know!!

I think I may wait until Ollie hopefully gets through his shredding stage and when he's older, I'd like to get one each for the boys for their travel crates.

debbie1351 is offline Junior Member

DefaultOrvis Tough Chew Bed

I can't tell you how many beds my 75-pound American Bulldog destroyed. About everytime I went to Sams Club I'd pick up another $25 bed hoping it would last more than a week; it never did. Then I discovered the Orvis Tough Chew bed. At first I hesitated at spending $175 on a dog bed but it has more than paid for itself these past years. I have had it for 5 years now and aside from being a little faded from all the washings, it is still in great shape. My dog routinely chews on it but has not been able to put a hole in it. It is well worth the money and I may even break down and buy her a new one for her 10th birthday next month.