I am PANICKING right now!!!
For some ungodly reason, I thought that the shots Max was getting gave him immunity against heartworm. I didn't realize that the pill they gave me to give him in SEPTEMBER was a HEARTWORM PREVENTION PILL. I was told it was his second round of dewormer, and when they said dewormer, I didn't realize they meant fracking HEART WORMS.
So now I am in an absolute panic. I can't get ahold of anyone at the vet's office until Friday at best, and I have this dose of heartworm medication that I can still give him, it hasn't expired, and I want to give it to him, but I was told that if I give it to him and he has heartworms, it will kill him.
Since his first dose in August, he's been an indoor outdoor dog, outdoors during the day, and indoors when the sun goes down. Mosquitoes haven't really been active this year, but I'm still extremely concerned and VERY FREAKED OUT RIGHT NOW.
Please offer any advice, what do I do?!?! Should I go ahead and give him the tri-heart plus until I can get him to the vet asap? He's only 5 months old, I don't want my baby to die, and I feel so fracking stupid!!!
Okay, here's my advice for what it's worth.
If it were me, I'd see if I could contact an emergency vet and see what they say. Would they do a heartworm test right away so you could then give him his heartworm preventative.
If you can't do this, I'd call your vet on Friday and get him in for a heartworm test, then he can get his meds. This is only waiting about two days.
Don't keep kicking yourself. It was an honest mistake.
Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"
Okay, well I can take him in on Friday and get the test done.
If he comes back positive, how many monthly injections will he have to have, and what's the general price-range ball park so I can go ahead and set aside the money?
Easy there.... not giving heartworm prevention does NOT mean your dog has heartworm. Big deep breath.
Many people choose not to give heartworm prevention at all and have no issues with their dog getting heartworm, it's not quite as common as it's made to seem, really.
I would wait until friday (or see if your vet can do a quick HW test tomorrow, normally the techs can handle it) and have him tested then. It's fairly inexpensive and quick, so you should be able to know soon.
Good luck, I'm sure your baby will be just fine.
Baloo - 5 year old black lab
Peanut - 7 year old minpin
Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
What baloo said....I wouldn't panic this early. Our vet only recommends heartworm May to Sept but I give year round due to kids. Call your vet next business day and discuss this, you can always get your dog tested.
I would not worry. It takes 7 months for heart worms to show up in a test. So testing him now means he will be neg. Just call your vet friday most likely they will say to give it and they will test for heart worms next year.
the likelihood of a 5 month old dog getting heartworm is very slim. Give him the preventative and don't worry about it. I would continue to give it to him monthly throughout the winter as well. I don't give monthly here, I give every 45 days. So, you are a few days late, no biggie. The only thing I'd be worried about is that the dose doesn't fit the weight of your dog.
Dani, Rider & Rookie
SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC
Member Since 6/2003
It takes 6 months from the time that the carrier mosquito bites your dog for an adult heartworm to develop. We don't even test puppies under 6 months of age. We simply start them on preventive and they are tested the next year. Be sure to check with your vet, but don't panic yet.
Little known secret, heartworm pills work for 2 months.
My vet will not check a pup under 6 months old for heartworms. I would call your vet when you can, and ask them what they would like for you to do.