Someone please tell me why!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone please tell me why!!!!

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultSomeone please tell me why!!!!

People that know there dog is aggressive take them to off leash Dog parks!! WTH are they thinking! O.k they aren't or don't' care. I had Sammi out with her doggie friends today at the park/river- the pups had a great time, on our way back there is a couple with there dog coming towards us! The dog was off lead and they quickly put there dog on a leash so i called Sammi over, as did the others and put the dogs on lead. Nothing happened but as we walked by the couple said "sorry but our dog can be kind of aggressive" !! My friend said "well your going to run into other dogs out here so you might want to keep yours on lead"! Idjits!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Someone please tell me why!!!!

Isn't it amazing how much stupid people have in them? :no: Don't get it.

Garth is offline Registered Users

WTH are they thinking!
    They don't think & therein lies the problem.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

People don't think - Jake got jumped so many times we've quit going to dog parks and just schedule playdates at home

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Di

Quote Originally Posted by yellojakesmom
    People don't think - Jake got jumped so many times we've quit going to dog parks and just schedule playdates at home
    I hope it doesn't come to this, Sammi loves her river dates! We've already switched to a more secluded area, so hope it doesn't come down to not going at all

sarah is offline Senior Member

I hate it more when the owner at the DP says "oh... Ralph just plays rough"

get f*&ked! He's trying to tear my dog's head off! Gets me SO mad. > >
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dipete
    My friend said "well your going to run into other dogs out here so you might want to keep yours on lead"! Idjits!!
    Well, duh, ya think??!! I wonder what folks like that are thinking (or not) as well...

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Hold on folks! Going back to the OP. The people that said, "sorry but our dog can be kind of aggressive". They leashed their dog when you approached. They acted responsibly. What is not known is what 'kind of aggressive' means in their terms. Dominance? Bitey Face which some view and aggressive, a herding type behavior with barking, or truly aggressive behavior.

I am a dog park fan, in case anyone didn't know that. I spend a lot of time at the parks with HK. I meet all kinds of owners and dogs and see all kinds of behaviors. I have run into aggressive dogs, with responsible owners that stay close, attentive, and leash up their dog when others are in the area. I have run into aggressive dogs, with owners that are irresponsible. Are not attentive to their dogs. Do not restrain when they should be, do not pul their dogs off an incident, do not apologize. We tend to address those people directly. We don't walk away stewing over it. We tell them what is expected and ask that they leave an not return if they can't go along with the standard behaviors. We get the whole complement of reactions. From apology and honest attempts to conform, to arrogant shove it responses. We call the applicable authority when that happens. Follow the perp, and record license plates if the authority does not arrive in time.

What I am trying to convey is, don't complain about poor behavior in the dog parks unless you take affirmative action to address it. We are never going to have monitored parks here. Are parks are large and and we couldn't afford the salaries to have monitors. But we have established a good relationship with the athorities. We are unofficial, official volunteer monitors. I think that if you adopt this approach, you will find the parksa re much more friendly all around and straightening out the offenders is not hard. Most of the time it just takes a friendly explanation of what everyone really wants. For the few that are an issue, we just pass the incident on to those that are paid to take care of it.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I'm with Ed. I think you are complaining about not very much here. They sound like the understand their dog and were being responsible in leashing him up when there were other dogs in the vicinity. Are you suggesting that they should not be there in the first place or that their dog should never experience being off leash?

I had a dog that could be reactive with other dogs - only injured one, a Lab, that jumped HER (attacked actually) when my dog was on leash and the Lab was loose. I was always very, very careful to control her in the presence of dogs she was not familiar with. I would bring her to our dog run rarely when it was empty or near empty. We had a few areas in our county park where I could let her off leash and never run into others. If I happened to run into another dog walker - I would get her leashed up quickly. It would blow my mind if I got lip from someone for doing that.

Di

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Hold on folks! Going back to the OP. The people that said, "sorry but our dog can be kind of aggressive". They leashed their dog when you approached. They acted responsibly. What is not known is what 'kind of aggressive' means in their terms. Dominance? Bitey Face which some view and aggressive, a herding type behavior with barking, or truly aggressive behavior.

I am a dog park fan, in case anyone didn't know that. I spend a lot of time at the parks with HK. I meet all kinds of owners and dogs and see all kinds of behaviors. I have run into aggressive dogs, with responsible owners that stay close, attentive, and leash up their dog when others are in the area. I have run into aggressive dogs, with owners that are irresponsible. Are not attentive to their dogs. Do not restrain when they should be, do not pul their dogs off an incident, do not apologize. We tend to address those people directly. We don't walk away stewing over it. We tell them what is expected and ask that they leave an not return if they can't go along with the standard behaviors. We get the whole complement of reactions. From apology and honest attempts to conform, to arrogant shove it responses. We call the applicable authority when that happens. Follow the perp, and record license plates if the authority does not arrive in time.

What I am trying to convey is, don't complain about poor behavior in the dog parks unless you take affirmative action to address it. We are never going to have monitored parks here. Are parks are large and and we couldn't afford the salaries to have monitors. But we have established a good relationship with the athorities. We are unofficial, official volunteer monitors. I think that if you adopt this approach, you will find the parksa re much more friendly all around and straightening out the offenders is not hard. Most of the time it just takes a friendly explanation of what everyone really wants. For the few that are an issue, we just pass the incident on to those that are paid to take care of it.
    I agree for the most part, however in this case they said " he is getting old and we never know how he is going to react to other dogs" guess I should of put that in the OP also. Yes it was good that they leashed him up, but there are a ton of "on leash" parks around here, some are even near the river. I guess I just think if you know your dog has issues isn't best to go where you know it will work for you, the dog and others using the area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast