Swiffer?

Thread: Swiffer?

DefaultSwiffer?

I've heard several rumors/stories about how the use of a Swiffer WetJet resulted in the liver failure of several dogs. The initial warning where I heard of this was at the public water works office a couple years ago, where there was a letter from a consumer that mentioned one of the wet jet ingredients was similar or was in fact a derivative of ethylene glycol, which built up in the dogs' systems over time and caused liver failure.

I really, really need something to help keep these floors cleaned. I know that a good ol' mop and bucket do the trick, but I was wondering if there's something that's safe for my pups that I could use as sort of a daily cleanup item? It's muddy here, and I know the second I let them in after they've been out, my floors will be the way they are now.

Thanks for all input

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Swiffer?

:embarrass: Neeeevver mind, I googled it and realized that the town where I found that posted is just as stupid as I thought. Didn't realize it was a hoax. Sorry to waste board space :ugly:

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

No problem...better to ask and be sure! I use the Swiffer Wet Jety on mine and have had no problems. Once those cleaners dry, the floor should be safe. Plus, as many people as have pets they would loose a significant portion of the market they could get because we would be unable to buy the product!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If you want something that is cheaper then Swiffer go to QVC or some place else on line and buy a microfiber mop you just wet the cloth and off you go. You can wash the cloths in the washer I did with my towels. I just use a mesh undies/bra bag as you do not want to put fabric softner on them as it causes the microfiber not to work and the bag made it easy to grab them out of the washer when I was adding softener.

Now I have gone to a steam mop with microfiber heads from Bissell and I love it. On rainy days I keep it by my door and plug it in when the dogs go out so I can just run it over the floor when they come in and get the mud up right away. I like the steam which means no wetting the clothes it disinfects with no chemicals and the microfiber heads still get washed and dried with no fabric softener.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I just checked those mops out on QVC. I might have to add one of those to my Christmas list.
    Kim

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

I use a steam mop on all my floors. No chemicals, and it does a great job. Since getting Breezy, I have eliminated the use of all harmful chemicals in our home. I clean mostly with non-toxic, all-natural materials. Healthier for Breezy, and for us!
    ( Not to mention, less expensive! )

Oh cool! Thanks for all your tips! Are the steam Bissels safe on hardwood floors?

Dani is offline Senior Member

Nope. it's a rumor. It's been proven false by snopes.com

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp

I use mine all of the time and have had no problems.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003