Party + Lab Puppy = Crazy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Party + Lab Puppy = Crazy?

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

DefaultParty + Lab Puppy = Crazy?

So...we're not hosting Thanksgiving this year, but we are having our annual open house "Thanksgiving Recovery Party" on Friday. We invite all our friends to come over with their leftovers and horror stories of the holiday with their families/in-laws and just chill with some wine and relax. It has been a big success for several years and I know everyone is looking forward to it. It is just a great way for us all to get together before the real holiday madness begins.

And speaking of madness...any suggestions on what I can do with Remy? Besides duct-tape him to a wall somewhere? We plan on taking him for a loooooong walk in the a.m. and moving his crate upstairs so he can have some quiet time. And hopefully the weather will hold out so we can put him outside for some of the day (our friends will also bring their dogs if the weather is good). He's not countersurfing so much so that's not really a concern.

My biggest concern is how excitable and rough he is. He is still jumping and while we are working on "no teeth" he does still grab you by the hand or sleeve with his mouth. Not enough to hurt, but it is annoying. And anyone sitting is going to have to watch out because he thinks he's a lap dog...and likes to nibble ears. Which while may be endearing to us...probably not so much to our guests.

I have a feeling this party is going to end up being a major training experiment.

Any suggestions - other than drugging the little guy - are greatly appreciated.
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Party + Lab Puppy = Crazy?

My biggest concern is how excitable and rough he is. He is still jumping and while we are working on "no teeth" he does still grab you by the hand or sleeve with his mouth.
    Macy still does that once in awhile, but only when whoever it is, first comes in the door. Is that when Remy does it? What I do now, I put a slip lead over her head and gently tug it : if she jumps, "OFF"...if she mouths, "NO BITE". It works great.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I have a short little leash (we call it the Baloo handle ) that I put on him when we're having company over. That way I can grab him quick if I need to, to stop him jumping up or climbing on couch-sitters. Guests have also made use of the Baloo handle as well, because I find people aren't comfortable pushing him away (don't want to hurt him, etc) but they'll use the handle if need be (aka: I'm not quick enough or distracted somewhere. :embarrass.

It's kinda like this:

I find the more Baloo is around people/company, the better he gets, so I rarely put him away unless he's making someone uncomfortable. I don't need to use his handle nearly as much anymore.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

That's a good idea about the dog "handle" I think we'll keep his collar on so we can nab him. The other good thing is he is wicked food motivated so, while he may not get any meals in his bowl on Friday...I may just pack all his food into treat bags that hubby and I can have on us at all times to work with him.
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

justine is offline Senior Member

Hmm that's a hard one. Abbey is the same way when there are a ton of people around.

Does he have a bed anywhere closeby that you can make him stay on? Abbey has her bed right in the living room so if I have people over, I make her lay down and hang out there, but she's still in on the action. If I let her get off and she's doing good and not jumping on people or licking them to death, she's fine but if she annoys someone its back to her bed.

The first time we had a party after getting Diesel he completely surprised me by being a total gentleman. No rowdiness, no jumping up, no helping himself to the people food, no climbing in laps. (and he can be counted on to do most of those things when it is just family)

Maybe Remy will surprise you too!

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

I bet he'll surprise you!

Depending on who comes over we have to keep Molly on a leash for the first 10-15 minutes or so. After she says her hello's we take the leash off and "ok" her. We're having everyone over on turkey day and my dad's 2 sisters are allergic to dogs so the girls will have to be separated from everyone at least until we're done eating and they can wash their hands if need be after touching the girls. Then we'll all go outside to play ball and that will certainly wear her out!
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I forget how old Remi is. But for that situation with HK, who is ball retrieve obssessed, it would be a trip to the dp or any field where I cold chuck a ball as far as I could. Over and over for as long as she wanted to in this November weather. She wold be ready for a long nap/rest when we got back and most of the extcitement would be subdued.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kal3idoscope
    Does he have a bed anywhere closeby that you can make him stay on? Abbey has her bed right in the living room so if I have people over, I make her lay down and hang out there, but she's still in on the action. If I let her get off and she's doing good and not jumping on people or licking them to death, she's fine but if she annoys someone its back to her bed.
    We do this with Milly too. Helps alot!!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

keep him on a leash. this is the perfect opportunity to put some training in. Teaching to sit politely. Not letting anyone pet him until he sits and keeps the butt on the ground.
    Once everyone settles in, including Remy take the leash off. Remind everyone "the dog is in training". Remy gets out of hand it is back on a leash or in a crate.
    Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast