For those that use a prong......
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For those that use a prong......

Callaway is offline Senior Member

DefaultFor those that use a prong......

which one do you have? The one I have my trainer got for me. It has a clip just outside of the live ring.

The ones I see in the store(petsmart) are different, the prongs slide apart and there is no clip.

I was going to get a new one for Calli, because the one I have now is Bogeys and its big, it wont fit her, and I dont want to size it down because it fits him really well.

The only downside I see to the one I have is that the clip (it only happened two times in class) will come undone. And of course the collar will fall off.

Id like to hear your input on the ones from the stores please. Thanks.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: For those that use a prong......

Courtney,

This is the one I have for Lexi: http://www.petco.com/product/8062/Pe...g-Collars.aspx

It is the one with the prongs that come apart to get in on. I really liked this one for Lexi. It was tough to get it hooked & unhooked at first, but I finally got it figured out where I can do it without an issue.

I've never seen one with a clip that could come undone, I would be concerned about it coming undone during training or when you really needed it.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

This is the one, its a quick release. I guess for safety purposes. Like I said it only happened twice, and I rarely uee it besides training. But that is my biggest concern with it.

http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm...e_Prong_Collar

Quote Originally Posted by Lexis Mom

Courtney,

This is the one I have for Lexi: http://www.petco.com/product/8062/Pe...g-Collars.aspx

It is the one with the prongs that come apart to get in on. I really liked this one for Lexi. It was tough to get it hooked & unhooked at first, but I finally got it figured out where I can do it without an issue.

I've never seen one with a clip that could come undone, I would be concerned about it coming undone during training or when you really needed it.
    So you havent had any issues with the links coming undone or anything. This was the other one I was looking at.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I have the quick release type and I used it on my big heifer of a dog Gryphon. I never had it come off. I wonder if yours is defective.
    Kim

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I use the same one Lexismom has for Frankie.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Ditto on LexiMoms' for Wesley. He wore it ONLY when training and as soon as he didn't need it anymore (probably 6 months tops) it was gone.

Hint: For easier on/off, use the same link time after time. The //squashing// to squeeze into the holes will be a little easier to hook/unhook from the prior link if it's always the same one. I marked mine w/a sharpie so I'd always be working the 'easier' link.

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbaylabs
    I have the quick release type and I used it on my big heifer of a dog Gryphon. I never had it come off. I wonder if yours is defective.
    Hmmmm, I dont know. That would be my luck if it was. Also, it was when I first got it, so maybe I didnt link it correctly? Hasnt happened since, but It just worries me, ya know.
    Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    Ditto on LexiMoms' for Wesley. He wore it ONLY when training and as soon as he didn't need it anymore (probably 6 months tops) it was gone.

Hint: For easier on/off, use the same link time after time. The //squashing// to squeeze into the holes will be a little easier to hook/unhook from the prior link if it's always the same one. I marked mine w/a sharpie so I'd always be working the 'easier' link.
    Good idea! I will have to remember that if I get this one.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I'm using a quick release prong, but had a traditional one for years. I'm finding it hard to thread the chain of the quick release one through the end in order to connect it, but that's only because of my clumsy fingers. Back when I used it on Mick, my fingers worked better. I have had the quick release one open on me a couple of times (never the traditional one). I don't think I had the snap all the way through the link. So now I make sure the link is at the back of the snap so the snap closes totally. No problems once I started doing that. BTW- it's not the big one, it the one that comes in 14inches and I added links (med, maybe?). I did buy the bigger one and found it easier to put on, but I didn't like the weight of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MicksMom
    I'm using a quick release prong, but had a traditional one for years. I'm finding it hard to thread the chain of the quick release one through the end in order to connect it, but that's only because of my clumsy fingers. Back when I used it on Mick, my fingers worked better. I have had the quick release one open on me a couple of times (never the traditional one). I don't think I had the snap all the way through the link. So now I make sure the link is at the back of the snap so the snap closes totally. No problems once I started doing that. BTW- it's not the big one, it the one that comes in 14inches and I added links (med, maybe?). I did buy the bigger one and found it easier to put on, but I didn't like the weight of it.
    Yeah, I really started to pay attention to it once that happened. Im glad its not just me then ! I have the medium one too, our trainer said that there really isnt a need for the big one, that its too bulky. I have a hard time threading it too, thats another reason I thought the other would work better.

justine is offline Senior Member

We have the one that separates. My parents have the one with the clip, but it comes off all the time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast