Interesting Morning

Thread: Interesting Morning

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultInteresting Morning

Here's proud old Cappy boy with the only duck of the morning, a Pintail. The gun I used was Carol's 20 gauge because this morning, a few mins before legal shooting time, I was in the blind with Cappy and started to load my gun when I discovered the breech bolt on my Beretta 12 ga would not move rearward or function properly.

Rather than trying to pull the barrel or action in the dark with only my visor lights and a small folding tool set, I made a quick trip back to the Jeep and got Carol's 20 gauge and a half dozen shells. Hurried back to the blind and it was then about 5 mins after LST. Missed a chance at 3 mallards that apparently had landed without my seeing them while I was gone (Cappy was audibly whining and I could hear him) and they departed as I tried to hustle to get back. Cappy let me know he was extremely unhappy with my timing and/or behavior.

About 15 mins after the mallards left a lone hen Pintail made a high pass and reacted to a mallard hail call the way a hunter can only wish that every duck would decoy. She side slipped from 100 yards up and made an acrobatic cupped turn towards the dekes right out in front of us. One shot from the 20 ga was enough. Unfortunately, that was it for our usual 90 minute hunt.

It's not about how many ... it's just getting out with the dawgs and enjoying each other's company. I really don't think Cappy counts ducks .... but I'll guarantee that if you have 4 treats in your hand and only give him three, he knows that immediately!

Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Interesting Morning

Oh, our Labs can count - there's no doubt about that! I give Cooper three pig ear strips every morning after our walk. He looks at me with this sort of expression if there is less than three.

Great photo!

Bev.

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Interesting Morning

Quote Originally Posted by Cappy_TX
    It's not about how many ... it's just getting out with the dawgs and enjoying each other's company.
    Sounds like a great day.