Belv's appointments - question for rescue peeps

Thread: Belv's appointments - question for rescue peeps

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultBelv's appointments - question for rescue peeps

OK. Belv has two meetings with potential adopters coming up: One on Sunday with a girl who called from the flier. She's very sharp and I like her.

The other is Monday evening with a girl from my dog club. Like her too.

I made arrangements to take Belv to both people. He will visit the house of the call-in girl on Sunday (also giving me an opportunity to check out her situation). We will meet my friend at the dog club on Monday with her black Lab, Bella, to see if they get along.

Now I am wondering: Was this a bad move, to take him to them? I am asking because he will be going to unfamiliar places, and I am afraid he's going to get all wound up and blow it.

I'm really nervous for him. I really want something to work out. I sifted through an enormous amount of "crap" this week to come up with these two very good prospects. I just wish I could talk to him and say, "OK Belv. Listen. It is REALLY IMPORTANT for you to be nice now, you hear?"

Some of the inquiries I got about him...

One lady wanted a dog to keep her company after her daughter left for college. When I asked if she would be open to taking a new dog to a beginner training class, she went on the offense big time: "What do you mean? In what area do you think he needs training?" She also said she would keep him in the house...unless he was destructive, in which case he could live in the garage.

:no:

I have had several people contact me and say they know a friend of a friend who might like a dog, and here is their friend's phone number, and they can probably put me in touch with the other friend who might want him.

:whatever:

This was my personal favorite: Lady said they got a puppy last summer, but he was mean (?), so they took him back to the Humane Association and had his temperament tested. He failed, so they didn't go back to get him. So now she thinks she doesn't want a puppy, she wants an older dog like this.

You can imagine, after enduring Angus' puppyhood, how sympathetic I was to this story.

I can't even remember all of them. It was just a small taste of what some of you have to sift through daily. New respect.

Anyway. I would be happy with either of the two potential adopters he is meeting. And it is really not easy to make me happy. So it is SO important for Belv to BE GOOD!

Do you think I'm doing the right thing, in terms of taking him places to meet them?

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Belv's appointments - question for rescue peeps

Ok - hate me if you want - and I am not an expert. Take him - and hope he acts like a total shit! Whichever one laughs and says oh, you goofie pup gets him!!!

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

I think he will have to go to their house eventually and seeing as its a first meeting they may also not expect him to be the best behaved, maybe set up 2 or 3 visits?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoatDog
    Ok - hate me if you want - and I am not an expert. Take him - and hope he acts like a total shit! Whichever one laughs and says oh, you goofie pup gets him!!!
    My feelings exactly! If he acts like a doofus and they love him, then that's the right person for Belv.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

justine is offline Senior Member

Agreed.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Yep Belv needs to be a total goofball, they need to know him and what its like to live with a lab Isnt' that what we all love about our pup's

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dipete
    Yep Belv needs to be a total goofball, they need to know him and what its like to live with a lab Isnt' that what we all love about our pup's
    Agreed!!! I'm anxious to see how this all comes out. I know how hard you have been trying to find the right home, it will happen. (easy for me to say sitting here )

I agree with this. Don't watch the dog but watch the adopter to see his/her reactions to what the dog is doing.