Update on Angus & Simon :)

Thread: Update on Angus & Simon :)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultUpdate on Angus & Simon :)

yellowjakesmom asked about them in another thread (thank you!), and I realized I hadn't updated in a while, and lately I've been so wrapped up in talking about Belv...so here's what the boys have been up to:

Angus and I attempted his second CD leg a few weeks ago. I entered him one day only in KY, and when we got the judging program, we were FIRST. Not only was our class the first of the day, we were also the first dog in the ring. :scare: But there were only three dogs entered in Novice A, so I was hopeful...

We decided not to go up and spend the night and just drive up the day of. So, that meant that instead of the boys waking us up, Kevin woke them up. They were extremely confused.

Getting up at 4:30 a.m. is really not my speed, and it's not Angus' either apparently. We were both complete dorks in the ring. Well, first the judge did the briefing and said he would call us in ten minutes. Well I was timing it, and that was NOT ten minutes. It was five minutes. :no: So I had a handful of treats. In my sleep-deprived stupor, I couldn't decide what to do with them (I knew better than to try to eat them). Kevin had disappeared to go hide and film, so I decided I would run back to the crate and leave them on top. HOW STUPID! Of course Angus saw me put them up there, and now knows for sure I'm not packing. He also thought because we were going back to the crate that he was supposed to go back in, so it took me a few seconds to convince him to come back out.

Bad start. Downhill from there.

I tripped over my feet on the heeling pattern. He had a weird one, I was doing the usual one and caught myself at the last minute, but did this stumbly-bumbly thing with my feet. We managed OK through the F8, but it was not Angus' best. Stand for exam went OK, and off lead heeling went a little better than on lead. So I thought hey, maybe we won't have a great score but we might Q at least (and get a yellow ribbon).

Then, of all things, Angus blew...the recall!

COME ON ANGUS! It is his best exercise, the one he loves the most, the one he will do without fail. He likes to do it in a box, He likes to do it with a fox, on a train, in a plane, etc. WTH!?!?

He was barreling towards me as he always does, then about three feet from me he goes wide to his left and visits the judge's table. He has done this once before: At the last trial where we competed in Novice. So, this is apparently his new "thing." :ugly:

NQ.

Let's see, Mr. Simon. Simon has not competed in quite a while, as he got his RE in the spring. Angus had to go to summer school to get his. I have been trying to switch up and take them to classes alternating weeks. Right now we are just doing a drop in heeling class.

Both boys have been enjoying their dog sitter. We have a girl who comes by 2-3 times a week and plays fetch with them during the day. I love her. She has been an absolute Godsend. However, we got some bad news this week: Kevin will be unemployed (again) as of December 4. Cutbacks. Stinks. So, he'll be at home for a while, so they won't get to see Ms. Diane until he finds something else. I haven't told her yet...we just found out early this week. I am so extremely bummed. It will be money out of her pocket, too. Trickle down.

Simon has been learning go outs. I don't really know if I'm teaching it correctly, but boy, he has so much fun doing them. It's adorable! I say, "GO OUT!" and he takes a few steps, whips around and sits up so pretty, tail wagging, just looking SO proud of himself!

Angus doesn't get "GO OUT." He will go, but when I say "ANGUS SIT!" he takes about four or five steps and sits in front of me. Distance work is never going to be his thing. So funny how different they are. Simon is so good at distance anything. He will sit or down with a hand signal from 50 feet away and not take one step. Simon also does the DOR. Angus drops too - after he tippy-toes and then finally crawls until he's closed most of the distance between us.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Update on Angus & Simon :)

Hi Connie, sounds like the boys are doing just fine!

RE: the go-outs. One way to cure them creeping forward after a sit is to attach a long line to them, and loop it around something stationary where you will be sending them out (example, loop it around a fence post and send them to the fence). When they turn to sit and start creeping back, you can either put your foot on the line or grab it to keep them from coming forward. It helps.

Also, use something to send the do to... example, I use canned cheese squirted on the gating. Then as I send my dog out, I follow and as my dog licks the cheese off the gating (reward for going out) I am quietly right behind them. I tell them to sit, and they turn and have to sit right there as I'm there After they understand that, I use something on the ground to mark where I want them to stop. Usually a piece of PVC pipe. I just send the dog to the pipe. Ruger keeps trying to pick up the pipe, but he does go out and turn and sit nicely

Keep it up. You guys are doing great!!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

So great to hear about the boys, Connie. Sounds like Angus has been talking to Henery. We have to keep these Labs off the computer!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

It was nice to hear about your boys. It sounds like you are having fun.

blackjack is offline Senior Member

So glad to here that everything is going well. Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what happened to the dance class?

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Dance class resumes the first of the year. The instructor has a litter of poodle babies that are keeping her busy now.

Linda, I need to talk to you more about go-outs! I do put cheese on the other side of the room, and Simon will go all the way for the cheese, turn and sit with me on the other side of the room. What I am having trouble with is figuring out how to transition to no cheese. If I have no cheese, he just goes a few steps for me. Sometimes I "trick" him and pretend to put down cheese on the other side of the room, he goes all the way out, sniffs around and can't find it, I say sit and he does, then I jackpot him. ?? I guess what it is, is that he hasn't made the connection between "go out" meaning "keep going until I say sit." That's what I'm trying to figure out. But maybe your way of walking behind him is what I need to be doing.

I will also try some kind of block for Angus and see if I can help his creeping.

Thank you!!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Hi Connie. I'm glad the boys are doing well....and you. I've missed your Angus and Simon stories.

Sorry to hear about Kevin's job. I wish things with the economy etc. would pick up...and soon!