The Family That Plays Together
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Family That Plays Together

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe Family That Plays Together

Carol hasn't been hunting lately, not feeling up to par. I hunt virtually every day during season so that means only one dawg goes at a time and I alternate them. But momma and both the kids got out with me this morning. It was 28 degrees at LST (Legal Shooting Time, 30 mins before sunrise) and the wind was dead calm so the temp didn't feel that bad.

Kicked a hen mallard off the wetlands as we walked to our two blinds 75 yards apart. She didn't like being disturbed at all and scolded us about it as she flew off. A group of 5 mallards gave us a pass about 5 mins before LST. Tempting but we held off.

Nothing flew for the next half hour except a lone Green Winged Teal that made a round trip zipping the length of the wetlands. About 7:10 I heard Carol get on her Honker call. I couldn't see anything in the air but soon I heard the faint honking of Canada Geese from behind me and coming our way. A group of 12 or so passed 100 yards to our west and low. They wouldn't turn. Then more honking from the South. This group was passing between our two blinds and must've seen or heard something they didn't like because the began to flare about 75 yards out. The closest passed me at approximately 50 yards. I pulled about 2 goose lengths ahead and touched one off. I saw the goose hunch but not drop so I sent two more shots after it and down it came. Dead bird, Remi ... fetch em up girl!

C'mon, all the way back here to me, little girl!

Atta girl Rem ... good girl! Her first ever Honker retrieve. She's had several specs and a couple Rosses geese before, but this was her first giant Honker and she had a hard time with it.

First the bird wasn't dead and it fought her in the water. The wing grip is fine in the water but not so good on land. The neck grip doesn't allow them to get the whole goose off the ground. The butt grip tastes like ... well you know. Although not delivered to hand, she did get it next to me via a few drag-drop-and-drag-again efforts and as a result got a lot of praise for a job well done.

20 minutes later was Cappy's turn and here he is with his first mallard of the day, a nice plump drake. No lack of enthusiasm of this soon-to-be 10 year old.

Not long after that, Carol pulled a Suzie out of a trio that cupped over her decoys. A 2nd one flared my way and I took it at 35 yards overhead.

We buttoned up at 8:15 and considered it an excellent "family outing" for us all.

At home the two water monkeys get their normal warm water wash down and posed for pics ...

Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The Family That Plays Together

Nice looking pics!

Way to go Remi girl, bringing that big 'ole goose back daddy.

Cappy, looking handsome as ever.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

Looks like a good morning. Wow that's a big honker!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tundra Aries Guest

Great pictures!!!

justine is offline Senior Member

Great pics! Looks like they did some good work this morning They look so proud!

Are they wearing some kind of camo wetsuit for dogs? Just curious.. Couldn't really tell from the pics!

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

What a wonderful family you have. It's nice that you and your wife both enjoy hunting. Those dogs are just perfect!! I enjoy your pics Jim.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Great pics Jim!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Good job everyone !

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kal3idoscope
    Are they wearing some kind of camo wetsuit for dogs? Just curious.. Couldn't really tell from the pics!
    Exactly. They are 5MM thick neoprene vests that are tailored to fit each dawg and help trap their own body heat inside much as a wet suit does for a diver. I put a new one on each dawg every 2nd or 3rd season and use a school (rounded point) type scissors to trim around the arm pits and elsewhere to eliminate chaffing, and also to Cappy's ding-a-ling in the clear when he makes pee-pee. :surprise:

Not only do they retain warmth, they also provide a small amount of additional buoyancy. At least as importantly, they protect the skin around the torso from knicks and cuts from barbed wire, thorns and other sharp hazzards. Both of my two have numerous "stitches" in their vests that might otherwise have been in their "hides" without the vests on.
    Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

mombear is offline Senior Member

Not meaning to sound dumb but what in the world do you do with those birds once you've shot them and take them home. Do you eat them, or stuff pillows or something. I really would like to know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast