11 years to earn a place in the house.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 years to earn a place in the house.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Default11 years to earn a place in the house.

Long story, but I have to tell it.

Neighbor has had a lab since we all moved into the neighborhood 30+ years ago. Their Lab always lived outside. Dad believed that is where a good hunting dog was meant to live. They had a nice kennel. They got fed and exercised daily, but lived in the 20x20 kennel 24/7/365. Until last week, not one of the dogs ever was allowed in the house. To the best of my observation, the dogs never wanted to. We live in MN and it gets cold here. I always thought the poor dogs were mistreated, but they never showed signs of abuse, so I would only hint at bringing the dog inside, but never tried to change their ways.

Natasha, a Chocolate Lab, approaching 11 years got sick a few weeks ago. She was having trouble getting around (assumed arthritis) and winter is approaching. Can any of us imagine the pain a dog with arthritis, living outside in sub-zero weather must endure? Then she stopped eating and was very lethargic. Mom finally took Natasha to the vet last week. Everyone wondered if Natasha would come back home. She was diagnosed with arthritis, no surprise, AND a very large tape worm. Treatment was done and poor Natasha was allowed into the house for recovery.

Move forward one week! Natasha is still in the house and spends her days on the sofa. When someone is home and sits to watch TV, they have a lap warmer. Natasha is not about to let anyone out of her sight. And someone on a cushy surface needs to be watched very carefully, i.e. head on lap.

Natasha was bad yesterday. She kept visiting the cat litter to check for treats. Dad got fed up with it, and took Natasha out to the kennel. Daughter #1 (early 20s) got home and started yelling at Dad for sending Natasha out to the kennel. Daughter #2 got home and joined the effort to get Natasha back inside. Dad finally gave in and said 'Okay, bring her inside.' When DD#1 opened the kennel door, Natasha bolted right past her around to the front yard. She found Natasha sitting at the front door waiting to get in. Dad was sitting on the couch when she was let in the house, and Natasha runs (PS: No sign of any arthritic pain) to the living room, up on the couch to kiss up to Dad. Dad says, “Okay! Okay! You’re a house dog now! Enough!” and Natasha lays down on the couch with her head on his lap.

It took her almost 11 years. None of her predecessors succeeded. But Natasha won’t have to live through this winter outside. Happy days! Good job! Natasha.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: 11 years to earn a place in the house.

that made me want to cry....bless Natasha's precious heart and thank GOD she will live the remainder of her years inside; loved and warm!!!

Awwwww!!!! I'm glad they finally let her in to live out her days hopefully the next dog they get will have the pleasure her whole life whever that day gets here.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Happy ending! I wish all outdoor dogs became house dogs, especially in winter. I know whenever mine come in from the cold, they have cold feet, cold ears, especially Mitzi. I put her on my lap and hold her feet until they warm up.

justine is offline Senior Member

Aw poor girl. Glad they finally decided to let her in

Callaway is offline Senior Member

WTG Natasha!

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

:-* lovely story glad she won him round! :-*

lunamus is offline Senior Member

WTG Natascha..

We don't see many dogs living outside here in Denmark.. But my heart breaks when I hear about it
    Jeanette and Luna. Sleep tight Oliver, our little kitty, thank you for 15 great years

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

I'm such an emotional wreck, i spend most of my time blubbing to the posts on here, this one was no exception, bless that sweet girl~ :-*

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

My heart aches to think she spent 11 years OUTSIDE and only now gets to come in. However, on the other hand, at least now she is in. Bless her heart, glad she can spend her senior years in comfort. :-*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast