Labs for Adoption in Fairfax County... I would like to help find homes for them

Thread: Labs for Adoption in Fairfax County... I would like to help find homes for them

DefaultLabs for Adoption in Fairfax County... I would like to help find homes for them

I volunteer at Fairfax Animal Shelter, in Fairfax, Virginia. There are three Labs there currently, a young black female w/ great demeanor and personality- a real beauty. With some training she will be a great companion. I worked w/ her for 20 minutes and she picked up on several manners and etiquette. She would be a great dog for the person or family that wants a dog w/ personality and a love of the outdoors.

The other two are two yellow females that are sweet, could be littermates, in need of some TLC. They are underweight, probably due to the stress. Again super sweet w/ wonderful dispostions. I only worked w/ one of them twice and the other was our first session, but both will be great dogs for a family or single individual household. They show great desire to bond and be around a human companion. I am hoping some lab lovers here will get the word out to anyone in the Fairfax, VA area.

These are very trying and desperate times and I believe we should focusing on giving... even now through some hard times... these guys deserve a good home and second life.

Doug

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Labs for Adoption in Fairfax County... I would like to help find homes for them

Doug, have you contacted the Lab Rescue of the Potomac? What can we do?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

DefaultRe: Labs for Adoption in Fairfax County... I would like to help find homes for them

Hi Dani,
    I did not contact any of the rescues yet b/c I don't know policy of the shelter. I have drafted a letter and sent it to a friend who runs a shelter in NY for her advice to make sure I am not stepping on toes or breaking protocol. I am hopeful to have an answer tomorrow. If we are permitted to take this action, then I will contact the two rescues here locally, Potomac and I think Nellie's Mom knows the other and was hoping she will pop in here.

I approached it this way, in the case where either we are not allowed to contact the rescue or they are full. This would filter out to individuals here in the area that might be looking for a Lab.

Thanks for the response, and any other info or advice please feel free to offer. I am hoping to really help these girls.

Thanks,

Doug

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Are they up on the shelter's site? Do you have a link you can post?

Hi Sharon,
    No they don't offer that service. But I will take a couple photos tomorrow and post.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by YellowLabProject
    Hi Sharon,
    No they don't offer that service. But I will take a couple photos tomorrow and post.

Doug
    You should try to get them to link up to Petfinder. A volunteer taking pix and posting them to Petfinder could really increase their adoption rate.

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

*bumping for any more ideas and/or prospects*
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

DefaultRe: Labs for Adoption in Fairfax County... I would like to help find homes for t

Have you tried to contact the two lab rescues in the area? LRR.org in my opinion is the better of the two. The other one is affliated with the Lab Club of the Potomac. I would love to have another lab but don't think I can physically handle a young lab any longer.

Hi Danie,
    I was waiting for you to drop by and tell me who the other group was. I have a meeting w/ my volunteer director on Tuesday and I will find out if I can approach them about rescuing them from the shelter. The two yellow are really sweethearts and been there a while and I don't want to see anything happen to them, so I have to act quick. Blackie is beautiful and will be a super dog... I just don't have room... or I would scoop her up.

I will keep you informed...

Doug