Should I get a puppy during pregnancy???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I get a puppy during pregnancy???

DefaultShould I get a puppy during pregnancy???

Hello everyone,

I've been in the forum for a while now, but didn't have a chance to post anything as I don't have a Lab of my own yet. My husband and I just bought a place and we will be moving in to our new townhouse in May 2009 (we currently renting and pet isn't allowed). I already contacted to a few breeders to see if they will have puppy available in May. At the same time, we are thinking about starting a family too - we've been married for 4 years now and both of us are ready for kid!

I grew up with dogs my whole life until I moved to Vancouver, Canada 8 years ago, I'm dying to get a puppy as soon as our new place is done. My husband never had a dog before so this will be something new to him. I asked him if we should adopt an older dog instead as it is less work (cleaning up and house training), but he insist to get a puppy as he wants to bond with the puppy. (He was attacked by a dog when he was young, so bigger dogs can make him nervous sometime)

My husband wasn't sure that getting a puppy in May is good idea if I happened to be pregnant before we move in to the house.
    He's also concerned if the baby happens to be allergic to dog's hair and etc.

I know that puppy is a lot of work and I am ready for that.
    By the way, my husband is working from home and I will get 1 year maternity leave.

What do you think? Should I hold off on the puppy idea or should I go for it?
    What's the chance that our baby will be allergic to dog's hair?

I'd like to know if any of you adopted a puppy when you or your wife were pregnant.

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thank you...

PS: If you have any suggestion on the breeder on the WestCoast, please let me know. I'm looking for a Yellow Lab

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Should I get a puppy during pregnancy???

First off welcome. Second, I can only go by my experiences. I grew up with dogs, my ex husband did not. We had a puppy and two small children. My oldest has asthma and allergies which were not affected by having dogs and cats. He is now 42 and has had dogs and cats in his life since he left home. I think there have been studies done that children growing up on farms have far fewer allergy problems than others. As to having a puppy and a new baby only you can decide if it is too much work. Hopefully others on this board will answer. There are many who are doing it. Good luck.

Really I think it is up to you and your husband and what you think you can handle and how you will handle both. Since you are looking at going to a breeder I would make sure you go to a very reputable one and talk to that breeder. They will know their dogs temperments ect...

Happy and Lucky both I would not have had any problems having during pregnancy/baby time. Sam, however, I could not imagine being pregnant while working through all his problems! He is a rescue though and a lot of those issues *can* be avoided, not always but you have a much better health guarantee going with a breeder and getting a puppy matched to your personalities/needs ect.

I think having a puppy and a child grow up together is fabulous and having dogs has helped my son greatly. So my 'personal' opinion would be go for it!

But again I'm not you and don't know what you're looking for/can handle ect. I would suggest research and lots of it and getting in touch and talking to a few breeders.

Good Luck to you!

PS....Welcome to JL!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I have never had a child, so take this with the proverbial grain of salt But I think it sounds like a lot of work to try to do both at one time.

A lot depends on the particular puppy, I guess. Crash was not as much work as Angus and Simon have been. But Angus and a baby at the same time... No way. He almost killed me single-handedly.

He had to be watched every single second he was out of the crate. He was into EVERYTHING, and showed great potential to kill himself by doing something stupid. Seriously. It was exhausting. Four years later, I am still not sure I'll ever think it's a good idea to get another puppy. Very much like what I imagine having a baby would be like in terms of time spent and commitment.

Of course, now he's a dream come true, but it took years and years of nightly training (several times a night that first year).

I hate to throw cold water, and maybe you would be great at multi-tasking and have no problem. I dunno! I'm just able to give you the perspective of someone who had a very naughty puppy.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

kaytris is offline Senior Member

There's been a few posts recently from new moms needing help and advice on juggling baby/puppy/household duties...

My advice - are you REALLY organised? Can you schedule out your day meticulously and multi task? what kind of support system do you have that can step in when you need a break from either puppy or baby or husband? Can you afford to hire a petsitter or dogwalker, or do you have a neighbour kid who is responsible and trustworthy for puppy-sitting? Puppies need daily exercise, will you be able to manage pushing a stroller and walking a puppy together?

I would also encourage your husband to spend some time with adult labs. Puppies are grand, but they do grow fast and your puppy may learn very very quickly if your husband is intimidated or nervous of him/her.

Will it work? Sure, if you (and hubby) are committed, patient and go in with your eyes wide open - and I think you've got a good start there.

I wouldn't be OVERLY concerned with the allergy issue.. a bit of a challenge to your immune system is a GOOD thing, in the long run. I know my SIL is quite allergic to cats, but she's adapted quite well to my brother's 3 cats - they aren't allowed in the bedroom, and the house must be kept spotless, but her reactions are kept to a minimum

ceasersmom is offline Senior Member

Of course this is one of those things you and your husband have to decide based on your situation, but here are a few things to think on.

Being pregnant can be easy of difficult. I had one of each.
    Cleaning up after a pup , especially during the morning sickness time can be rough.
    Also, pregnancy lasts 9 months, and a puppy will grow a lot in 9 months.
    Infants and puppies take HUGE amounts of time and energy.

If it were me, I would look at getting a young dog, say 7 or 8 months versus 8 or 9 weeks, that way the pup has a good head start on the baby and you can have some time to recoup before the bundle of joy arrives.

Just my opinion, though.

Gus adopted 11/2008
    Ceaser adopted 4/2008
    Heidi adopted 4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by ceasersmom
    Of course this is one of those things you and your husband have to decide based on your situation, but here are a few things to think on.

Being pregnant can be easy of difficult. I had one of each.
    Cleaning up after a pup , especially during the morning sickness time can be rough.
    Also, pregnancy lasts 9 months, and a puppy will grow a lot in 9 months.
    Infants and puppies take HUGE amounts of time and energy.

If it were me, I would look at getting a young dog, say 7 or 8 months versus 8 or 9 weeks, that way the pup has a good head start on the baby and you can have some time to recoup before the bundle of joy arrives.

Just my opinion, though.
    +1

I agree - pregnancy can be a breeze or a long struggle. My second pregnancy I spent the last 2 months flat on my back most of the day due to high BP. I don't know how I could have handled a little puppy - a 3 year old child and a 5 year old dog were challenge enough.

I would either time the pregnancy to when the dog is a year old OR get a puppy when your baby is 18 months old at least OR get an older puppy before or during your pregnancy.

I also would not worry about allergies. If you and your hubby are not allergic - your child is not as likely to be allergic. In addition, like others have said, growing up in a non-sterile environment helps to make a child more resistant to developing allergies. I have allergies and asthma and most dogs don't bother me at all. A cat can send me to the emergency room!

It is very good to think about these things ahead of time - because it is the impulsively acquired dog that usually is re-homed.

Not to sound politically incorrect.... but no way would I recommend doing that. There are lots of points to be made on both sides of the coin. IMO it takes a tremendous amount of time to take care of a puppy, proper socialization, training and they need your attention. Its all about relationship, ever before training begins. And that is going to be hard to do when your newborn is going to require not just you, but your husband's help too.

I would suggest the alternative, foster a rescue dog. This way it is not permanent and you can see how it will work for you. Trust me when I say I know how bad yearnings are when we don't have a Lab in our lives...

Good luck on whatever you decide, and congrats on the family addition....

It can be done!

I am the mother of three, four cats, one dog, one husband - and a mulitude of fosters over the past ten years or so. We have just finally taken on a dog of our own. We have had orphaned pups, kittens, fostered/abused/abandoned dogs - you name it we've done it. At one time I think all of our three bathrooms were full with orphaned kittens being bottle fed every 2 hrs.

BUT....

you do need to be highly organized!!! You have to be able to multi-task! If you are a high stress individual then this might not be the ideal situation for you? If you are laid back and a go with the flow type of gal - then all the power to you. My kids have grown up with animals and been hands on in helping the rescues find new forever homes (while we fostered).

We have had so much fun together (and I ran a daycare while I was a stay at home mom for six years). It was a great experience for the daycare kids as well

I am all for raising your children up with animals....to love and respect them....and teach them values they will remember forever!

justine is offline Senior Member

I can't speak on the baby part, but as others have said, maybe getting a little bit of an older pup might be a good idea.. but it's really about timing. I have had Abbey since she was 12 weeks, but we rescued another dog, who lives with my parents, who was about 1 yr old. Depending on the dog, some of the puppy training, such as not biting and housebreaking, might be resolved if you adopt an older dog.

But you should most definitely contact a breeder.. sometimes people fall on hard times/something comes up and people have to return dogs to their breeder.. so who knows, maybe a breeder has a 6-month yellow lab at the right time.

Puppies are a LOT of work, especially a Lab puppy, and if you're pregnant and can't take care of the dog, you need to make sure someone (husband, family, etc) can be held responsible for lots, and lots and lots of exercise, training, etc. Don't get me wrong, I loved the trials and tribulations of having Abbey since a pup, but it was definitely a learning curb and I did have those days when I would come home to a huge mess and say "what was i thinking?!?!"

I think it is good that your husband works from home and you'll have a year off... but you just have to make sure your hubby is 200% committed to being able to take the dog out every few hours, playing with him/her for a few minutes throughout the day.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast