Help me pick from these prospects:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick from these prospects:

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultHelp me pick from these prospects:

OK...I have several people who have inquired or that know other people they think might be seriously interested. I thought maybe it would be helpful (and you all might enjoy) helping me screen applicants. I will give you brief bios of each. Then you can weigh in. What do you say - game on?

Belvedere is about two, very athletic and full of energy. Extremely sweet with people, just like sugar. Could be dominant with other dogs, as he has a humping issue. But could also be nervous humping. Just not sure. He jumps up on people and pulls on leash (minor problems IMO).

1) Brenda knows someone in OK. Uncle of her one of her friends. Bit of a loner, but adores his dogs. Very forgiving of imperfect behavior. He lost his previous dog a year ago and has been in the "mourning" period. He might be ready now. I have emailed Brenda extensively about Belv, so it's almost like she knows him as well as I do. I trust Brenda 110% when she tells me they would be perfect for each other. Problem: He is on the road at the moment (he usually travels with his dog). No one has been able to ask him yet.

2) Prominent local attorney at my aunt's firm. Wife, no children. Loves chocolate Labs, has only had chocolate Labs, has probably had about four of them. They have all passed on now and he has been dog-less since last year. He likes to run and goes several miles a day, and liked to take his dogs with him. Down side: He may not be home as much as some other people. Up side: He has lots of Lab experience and would exercise Belv. Problem: He, too, is out of town at the moment, on his way back from a trial.

3) Girl at my club. Has a black Lab, Bella. Bella was quite a monkey in some of the classes I assisted, and we bonded over having monkeys and what were we going to do with them. She would be very tolerant of imperfections and doesn't mind working through issues. She is expressing a LOT of interest in Belv. Problem: We don't know how Bella would tolerate another dog. Bella is reportedly a little jealous. Combined with Belv's humping, I worry that it could be trouble. She also doesn't have a fenced yard, but I know she walks Bella on leash.

4) Mother of a girl I work with. They lost their Lab/Chow mix last month. Still grieving. Walks dogs 1-2 miles in the morning, 3-4 in the evening. Expressing a LOT of interest, BUT: Has another dog, and has many small children who visit their home. Again, unsure how Belv would do with other dogs, and I am afraid he would topple a small child. Electric fence.

5) Got a call from a girl this afternoon. Don't know how serious she was, but she had a lot of the right answers about fences, vet, exercise, where he would be while she was working, etc. It sounded like she had thought things through very well. My big concern with her is that she is a first-time dog owner. He may be a little much for a first-timer. Or maybe not. She also expressed a desire to take her new dog to the dog park and for playdates, and I had to honestly tell her I was not sure how Belv would be with other dogs. I told her about the humping - was it bad to spring that on her? She would find out anyway when she came to visit him. I told her to email me her info and I would get back in touch when he's recovered from his neuter.

So - who do you like? I know who my favorite is. Let's hear yours and why please! It will help me get better at making decisions. Thanks!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help me pick from these prospects:

I like #1 and #2.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

#1 is ideal...no question

#5 is my second choice. i would not get too hung up on the first time dog owner thing, and sounds like she is ready to devote the time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

I like 1 and 2 - I'd be hesitant to place him with someone with kids and other dogs

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

1. yes
    2. yes
    3. no b/c of her dog and his temperment (dominant)
    4. no b/c of the kids and it think to soon after her last dog
    5. maybe
    Alicia

Gene Guest

one or five

kaytris is offline Senior Member

2 or 3. I'd hesitate placing him long distance, and a meet and greet would tell you if the dogs will get along. My first choice would be 3.

Before you decide you need to do a home inspections preferably with a lab accompanying you or whoever does the check. It is really the dog doing the inspection. Just watch the person or persons to see their reactions to the dog's misbehaving or not.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I think No. 2 is a good choice, he actually kind of fits my description. Quite don´t get it with No.1 in terms of providing what the dog needs (i.e. being forgiving with a hyper - probably dominant dog is not an ideal situation).

I also leave my dogs for work but exercise them daily before leaving, visit them at lunch and play with them when I come back at night.

Based on your description of the dog I wouldn´t place him in a home with small kids. He could be way too rough

As a law student, I wouldn't worry too much about the attorney thing if the guy is committed to the exercise and the dog's needs. Just ask how they plan to work around his (and her's potentially) schedule to make sure the dog's needs are met. For example, fiance and I are both law students, but because of the potential for our jobs/school to take us away from home a lot, we go above and beyond to make sure the dogs are not bored, are exercised sufficiently, get to go to 2 training classes a week, and are not left alone for long periods. Just don't rule him out based on his career.

I like 2, 3, and maybe 5. Home visits and further questions will give you the answer though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast