How often do you walk your dog? POLL

View Poll Results: How often do you walk your dog?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Multiple Daily Walks (on leash)

32 32.65%
  • One Long Daily Walk (on leash)

18 18.37%
  • One Short Daily Walk w/ off leash exercize

14 14.29%
  • Off leash walks only

16 16.33%
  • No walk - off leash exercise only

13 13.27%
  • You're supposed to walk 'em?

5 5.10%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How often do you walk your dog? POLL

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow often do you walk your dog? POLL

So we used to walk our Golden twice a day. Hubby and I would alternate mornings and then I would walk Brooklyn again at night before he got home from work. Then we got Remy. I can't walk the two of them together. THEN we fenced in the yard. We walk both of them every morning - a couple of miles - and then they get run around time in the back yard at lunch and in the evening. Longer walks or hikes at the local park or a trip to the dog park take place on the weekends. Remy is a tuggy walker, but we're working on it. I have neighbors who have fenced in yards and NEVER walk their labs...say they are too difficult to walk on leash. I feel bad for them, and yet I understand - Remy is too much for me to handle.

How much do you do?
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How often do you walk your dog? POLL

I chose the short walk daily, because technically he's walked on-leash to our backyard (we don't have a door directly out there).

Otis gets plenty of run around the backyard time, retrieves, chasing, etc. We also do lots of mentally demanding training indoors (esp in the winter here in Michigan). At least once a week we do an 1-1.5hr dogpark trip. He is pull-y on his leash, which I know is totally my fault since I just don't have the time to put into training him. I do want to do more walks with him, not only because it's good for him and me, but also because his nails are incredibly difficult to trim, and I'd like to wear them down a little bit more on concrete.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

Four times a day. Once in the morning about 20 minutes, leashed. Short afternoon pee break, leashed. Long evening walk about 40-60 minutes, half off leash, then leashed. Short bedtime, last call pee break, leashed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

It's not often that Elias is leashed. In the spring, summer and early fall he goes on off leash hikes at least 5 times a week. During the colder months and after daylight savings he probably goes on off leash hikes 2 times a week.

Everyonce in a while I take him for a leashed walk.

Mostly he's got the run of our fenced in back yard.

justine is offline Senior Member

In general, I take Abbey out to do her business in the morning, then I'm off for class. When I get home in the afternoon, we go outside and do some training and play frisbee for anywhere from 30 min to an hour. After dinner I generally take her for a 20-30 minute walk and more frisbee if she's up to it. Sometimes she gets pooped and just looks at me after I throw the frisbee and stands there

I put long walks on leash. We actually have about a 30 foot long-line we use once we're in an area where she can run around, but technically I guess that's still a leash even though she has a fair bit of freedom on it. I would love just to let her off leash to run, but at 4 she is still unfortunately not reliable on recall if there are any distractions around. She's very good walking on leash (including a short leash). We've been going to training classes once (usually twice) a week for almost 4 years now though, so she should be. LOL She really looks forward to her daily walks (and so does SO) so we rarely miss going. Dee isn't a high energy dog, so an hour or so satisfies her.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

We either walk or run every morning for 30 minutes, always on a leash. Afterwards they are allowed to rump free on my yard (which they do for over 15 mins).

At lunch time they are always sleepy so they basically just nap while I eat lunch

At night depending on the energy level, if they are hyper I play fetch with them for 1/2 hour

On weekends they come with me mountain biking, where they run off-leash in the woods, swim, play with friends and end up exhausted (and me a happy owner

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

2 miles or so every morning.

1 mile in the evening.

1 pottybreak mid-afternoon. (Short leashed walk to the end of our street and back)

Last call at 11PM. (VERY short walk to the mailbox out front)

The AM/PM walks are on a Flexi for maximum running/niffing/peeing/pooping opportunities.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Mine are only occasionally walked on leash. I do that if I want walk out the road and give them some leash training time. We live in the woods so they get off leash walks daily, and they get to run around and play as much as they want. When it gets colder, they'll spend a little more time inside, but Libby doesn't mind the cold as much as Willy.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I marked offleash walks only (although it should be typically rather than only)

We have a nearby nature preserve (4 minutes away) to which I drive early every morning, rain, shine, snow, etc., (lightning excepted). Puff and I walk the trails for about 2 miles and she gets multiple retrieves either from my slinging her training dummy or from dropping it on the trail and sending her back to get it. That takes us 40-60 minutes depending on the trails chosen. I do carry a leash to put on her in case we see another dog and owner but at 6:30-7:30 AM we rarely meet one.

Then around 2 PM she gets a short walk outside, about a block to pee and poop. Usually no leash

Repeat at 10:30 PM
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast