Neutering question:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neutering question:

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeutering question:

So Remy is about a year now and hasn't been neutered yet. We wanted to wait til he filled out a little and there was a possibility we might show him. Well, he's definitely filled out (he's a tank) and it doesn't look like we will be able to take on the time commitments for showing him.

So, here is my question: what can I expect for changes in him if we get him neutered? He's my first male so I'm new to this. What can I expect from the surgery? Any reason we should wait longer? All opinions greatly appreciated.
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Neutering question:

I had Alfie done at 14 months...my vet told me the hormone would be out of his sytem within 6 months if not sooner. I noticed mostly in him that his aggression stopped..he used to growl at other intact males. He still marks alot outside but it doesnt affect his concerntration anymore.

Also he filled out more when we had him done as he was quite lanky. Only thing is he still has his pouch.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

My goal was to wait until Baloo was at LEAST 18 months, and in all honesty, pending good behaviour I would have left him intact indefinitely (obviously that requires quite a bit of vigilance).

However, he hit 15 months and had the hormone-surge-from-hell and started obsessively humping any other dog he could get near. I neutered him at that point and no more humping.

Other than the greatly reduced sexual assault attempts and better focus in training, I noticed no differences in his behaviour at all. No, he most definitely did NOT "settle down", LOL!

Overall, I think when to neuter is a personal decision that many factors play a part in.

Here's a few good reads:
    http://www.akcchf.org/pdfs/whitepape...iesArticle.pdf
    http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
    http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/cgi/con...ull/11/11/1434 (re: osteosarcoma, just skip on down to the "discussion")
    http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

Thanks for those links!
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Change in personality after spaying/neutering is generally a myth. I can't speak for everyone, but my dogs didn't change at all and neither did anyone elses dog I know, dog or bitch.

I had mine fixed at 12 months. Would have liked to have waited, but for various reasons that seemed like the right time. In hindsight, I'm glad it was done then.

Some say six months is too early, others advocate getting it done at 6 months. Others say 12 months, some say don't get it done at 12 months, do it at 18-24 months. Frankly, I don't think there is a right answer. Do whatever you feel comfortable with. I personally would have no issue with neutering a 12 month old dog.

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

Shane's breeder wanted us to wait till he was 18 months so he would have finished growing. He was just neutered in early September. The only change I've noticed is that he doesn't mark as often as before.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Everyone always says that a change in personality afterward is a myth. I disagree. Every dog that I've had neutered (4 now) changed ALOT after a couple of months. Completely calmed down and "grew up". I waited until about 14 months for both Tucker and Frankie. In both cases, the surgery went without incident and neither had to wear the cone afterward.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Everyone always says that a change in personality afterward is a myth. I disagree. Every dog that I've had neutered (4 now) changed ALOT after a couple of months. Completely calmed down and "grew up". I waited until about 14 months for both Tucker and Frankie. In both cases, the surgery went without incident and neither had to wear the cone afterward.
    I would put that down to age rather than neutering. Natural behavioural changes will occur as a dog reaches maturity (18 months +) regardless of whether a dog has testicles or not.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I would put that down to age rather than neutering.
    Could be Rosie.....but Tango was 5 when we had him neutered and Sammy was approximately 7 and I noticed it in them, also.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Bauer became a big humper a couple of months ago, and it seemed like the right time to do it. I have not seen him hump anything since the surgery (on October 23rd). . . and his ever-present "tip", as my kids called it, has all but stopped making appearances. It hasn't changed his personality at all (other than the humping). He still has the same amount of energy.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast