How cold is too cold
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How cold is too cold

DefaultHow cold is too cold

This weekend we went to a local golf course that is in the process of being built to let Nala run till her hearts content. With the temperature starting to drop here in NC and the water getting colder I was wondering how cold is to cold to let Nala in the water? I know Labs are breed for cold temps and she still jumps right in the water and swims around like it is 100 degrees outside but I didn't know if I should get her one of those neoprene vests to keep her warm. How cold will you let the water get before you won't let your labby in the water?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How cold is too cold

Sammi has had cold tail once, not sure it was the temp of the water or the amount of time spent in the water on consistent days! We are in the NW Oregon so we are not talking frigid temps. but I am a little careful in the winter- usually she will swim year round in the river for no longer then 20-30 mins. 2 to 3 times a week- not sure if I've been helpful or not. Oh yeah, Sammi has a life vest she uses when we go rafting, but no neoprene vests. Di

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I'd give a choice and let the Lab decide.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Gene Guest

My two love the water and will go in it til it freezes over.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gene
    same here
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Quote Originally Posted by Gene
    This is what I have been going by for the most part. My girlfriends parents like to watch Nala when we go out of town and her mom is a huge softy when it comes to animals and she always asks if it is to cold for Nala. They are keeping their pool open till after Thanksgiving since they know how much Nala loves the water and she was like well the water will probably be about 50 degrees is that too cold? I told her you will know when the water is too cold when it is frozen over and Nala can't get in.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Too cold? I think the dogs will make that decision for you. We deal with ice overs here in MN. I choose to keep Hershey Kisses away from the water once the ice starts forming, and then until it is gone. I do not want to go in after her should something happen when there is ice on the water. I will if necessary, but choose to avoid the opportunity.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Too cold? I think the dogs will make that decision for you. We deal with ice overs here in MN. I choose to keep Hershey Kisses away from the water once the ice starts forming, and then until it is gone. I do not want to go in after her should something happen when there is ice on the water. I will if necessary, but choose to avoid the opportunity.
    Ditto. I've found a solid recall and a good "leave it" very useful.

I do differ in that I will not go in after Otis if there's ice on the water, particularly moving water. I have a 2.5yr old son, and he needs his mother too much for me to risk it. I may get flamed for saying it, but there it is.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member

I think if there's no ice then you're in the clear!
    Becca & Phoebe

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MSUlady
    Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Ditto. I've found a solid recall and a good "leave it" very useful.

I do differ in that I will not go in after Otis if there's ice on the water, particularly moving water. I have a 2.5yr old son, and he needs his mother too much for me to risk it. I may get flamed for saying it, but there it is.
    As much as we love our dogs, as I am sure you love Otis, sometimes we have to set priorities. I think that I would set mine as you have stated if my kids were younger. But at 32 for the youngest, they don't need me the same way they did when they were 2.5
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast