What might be causing this?

Thread: What might be causing this?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat might be causing this?

Maybe several times a day, Puff may be relaxing beside me when she suddenly twists around and begins energetically nipping at a region on her tail or hind quarters.

It reminds me very much of what Bess used to do when -- from time to time -- she had fleas. That and seeing a flea or two on Bess's stomach gave me notice that her flea collar (in the 1960s) needed to be replaced.

But Puff is on Frontline Plus and I've never seen a flea on her.

I only look for them on Puff's belly because she has less hair there and, when (black & furrier) Bess had fleas, they were more easily visible there. (And, with less hair on Puff's belly, it'll be much easier to see them there.)

What's going on?

What's causing this?

If Puff had fleas, wouldn't I sometimes see some on her belly?

Is there something else that could be causing her to suddenly whip around and start nibbling at her fur?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What might be causing this?

Sounds like she's itchy. Maybe even something as simple as dry skin? Especially with the seasonal change, I notice I'm much more itchy as well.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Garth is offline Registered Users

Have you tried running a flea comb down her back & through her tail? You might be surprised.

On the odd occasion mine do it (not just labs), I've done this & nearly every time have found a flea. As you say, it's a good reminder to apply the flea treatment. The lower back near & on the tail is another favorite place where fleas love to congregate.

I have found Frontline plus to be useless BTW. I was still finding fleas on the dogs within 2 weeks after treating them. I switched to Advantage on my vets recommendation & haven't had any problems since.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Abbey does that, too.. Sometimes it's her foot, leg or tail. I asked the vet and she said it might be dry skin. Said just to keep an eye on it and if she developed hot spots or flaky skin, then we would worry about it.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

Bauer does it too. I have never seen fleas on him either, and assumed it was dry, itchy skin. Vet said to keep an eye on the spots to be sure nothing developed, and so far I haven't seen anything.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

joflake is offline Senior Member

Both of mine do it once in a while. I think it's just like humans getting an itch. You just have to scratch!