ACL Surgery Recovery Time Help

Thread: ACL Surgery Recovery Time Help

DefaultACL Surgery Recovery Time Help

Hello Folks,
    Long time reader of the forum, our 1st post. Our 2 year old Lab had ACL Surgery on his left hind leg this past Friday. We brought him home last night (Sunday). He still carries the leg up high in the air and does not seem to want to put it on the ground at all. The vet, a very well known surgeon in Ithaca, NY did the surgery, and says it may take up to a week to 10 days before we see him putting his leg down. Can others who have gone thru this surgery, give us any other things to watch for or what to expect?. We realize its going to be a long road to recovery, just wishing the best for him!! Thanks in advance for your help and support.!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: ACL Surgery Recovery Time Help

Hang in there with the rehab .......... I know it took Kona at least a week to put weight on his repaired leg. It is very important to control activity and to follow your surgeon's rehab protocol. It does work.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

every dog is different. take your time with it and don't ask the dog to do more that he is willing. It was as least a week or so before Cinder put weight on.
    Kim

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Gus and Zekes Mom is offline Senior Member

Gus had TPLO surgery on both sides. With the right leg he was putting it down the morning after we brought him home, but with the left leg it took a little longer. I totally agree with others that it is very important to follow your vet's instructions and to keep activity restricted. We followed all of the instructions to the best of our ability and he had great results.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions as you go through the recovery since a good number of forum members have been through this with their labs. Good luck and good thoughts headed out for your fellow.

blackjack is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gus and Zekes Mom
    I totally agree with others that it is very important to follow your vet's instructions and to keep activity restricted.
    + 1000. It's going to take time before he is comforatable putting weight on that leg again. Just take it slow. Buster just did toe touches for a week or so after surgery (he has also had both legs done). But he was ready to run long before the vet cleared him to run.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

Emma is 12 weeks post TPLO. She only had a partial tear and was weight bearing before surgery and was weight bearing the day after surgery. Everyone is right each dog is different as long as the surgeon is OK with the progress you should be OK. Honestly we were kind of hoping that Emma would slow down keeping her quiet for the full eight weeks was very difficult. I still think she is trying to figure out what she did that made us take all her Frisbee's away. At this point she is walking and running normally. She does limp a little if she does too much but is getting better everyday.

Good luck!

The Kelly's

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Did you have TPLO, traditional, or some other procedure?

My girl, Magnum, completely tore her ACL and had traditional repair. She came home the next day and walked to the car on her own. She was weak on the leg, but used it from the get go. I will say though that she was very physically fit and strong before surgery as we competed in both agility and obedience work. I think her muscle tone helped going into surgery. Surgeon told me to let her use it as much as she wanted to and that she would basically "self-rehabilitate" which she did. We also swam her in the pool after the stitches were out to get the muscle tone back. A year after her surgery she was competing again in Agility and did so for two years. Just this past autumn she has "retired" from competition as she's got some lameness on her front left leg now due to arthritis.

Give it time, your dog should recovery well

Thanks to all of you that replied to my post and most of all, thanks for the words of encouragement. As an update, our dog has started putting the leg on the ground and using it a little. It has only been 5 days since the surgery, so it looks like he`s doing ok. We limit his time to walk around and are also using the sling that goes under his belly when he walks to him support him. Mostly out to go potty and back in to his crate. We know its going to be a long recovery, and thanks again to you all that replied!!