Felicia thinks she's a bad momma..? She's got nothing on me...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felicia thinks she's a bad momma..? She's got nothing on me...

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

DefaultFelicia thinks she's a bad momma..? She's got nothing on me...

I don't deserve to own a dog
    After work today I went to my mom's to pick up Saba, we go towards the car and I see Karina's SO John with Abby & Yeller, so of course we waive them over, the three monkeys play for a bit, butt tuck chase each other around the front yards, but after a few mins, it's time to go. Now, just so you know, Saba is OBSESSED when it comes to Karina's dogs. He loves playing with them so much.
    So anyway, Saba willingly and quickly jumps into the back of the car when I tell him, and I put the leash next to him thinking I'll put it on when we get to my place.
    We go home. I pull into the parking lot in front of my building, go to open the back thinking I have to put the leash on him, right? Well I open the hutch about 3 inches, he PUSHES it open, jumps out and BOLTS across my parking lot, grass, sidewalk, across a 2 lane (with a median) BUSY road, all the way across to a plaza where there is a convenience store. Then runs back to me! I've never seen him run so freaking fast. He was still so hyped up from playing with Abby & Yeller. I was yelling come and stay and of course he was in such a hyper state (and this is a fairly calm dog) that he didn't listen. When he got back to the parking lot he stopped when I yelled stay!
    All that crap about them not knowing they did something wrong? BS. He knew.
    I cannot believe how irresponsible I was! We both got damn lucky there were no cars on this road for these few seconds. Normally at this hour there is constant traffic there. God must have been watching over us.
    So now I'm crying thinking about what I did. I should have put that leash on him when he got into the car, doesn't matter that he's good and stays in the car till I tell him he can go out. I should have known he'll be hyped up after the little play.
    :'( :'( :'(
    He's been sent to his bed and I lectured him (to make myself feel better) but it's been 1/2 hour so I guess I'll give him his dinner now.
    I'm the one that should not have dinner. This is the most irresponsible thing I've ever done. I can't believe I did this and I can't believe he just ran across the street. I'm the biggest idiot in the world.
    Sorry, had to vent about my idiotic behaviour.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Felicia thinks she's a bad momma..? She's got nothing on me...

Wow I'm glad he is o.k, what a scary thing for you, hey things happen! I never have the leash on Sammi in the car, I'm afraid she could get it caught or wrapped around her neck, I have trained her to wait until I give her the o.k to leave the car! I know its hard, but don't keep kicking yourself! (((Hugs)))

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

Don't be hard on yourself, you're probably feeling a mixture of shock and relief that nothing bad happened~ thank goodness~.

It's something anyone of us could have done and we will learn from your experience too.

Saba is fine and that's all that matters, don't beat yourself up, it turned out ok.

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

Oh I know that feeling well. With dogs and kids. You want to hug them tightly because they are safe, and you want to beat them at the same time for doing something so stupid!! All the while you are shaking inside.
    Whew! glad everyone is okay.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

We all have things like that happen. Don't be too hard on yourself. They constantly test us and usually we end up kicking ourselves about it. Just part of being a parent.

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Thanks guys... Still feel shocked and irresponsible though. Lesson learned for sure.

Oh I so feel your pain. Cinnamon got out and dashed away. It was dark and we couldn't find her. I heard a car lay rubber down big time. I swear he tapped her because she won't go near an open door now and she was waiting at the door when I got home. She wasn't hurt but it scared me big time.

So don't beat yourself up these things happen.

Agnes!! Stop! You're not a bad momma!!!! *wagging finger at you*

These things happen... and hindsight is *always* 20-20, right? I'm glad that Saba is okay, and that's the most important thing of all.

Henery has done it ONCE to me before so I know that awful feeling. When I come home at lunch, we go to the front door together, get the mail, and then I let him out into the backyard. On this particular day, he bolted out our front door (something he had NEVER done before prior to this day, and has NEVER done again), and then took off across the street. We're one block from a busy road with crazy speeding drivers. Hen was nekkid, no collar, no leash. If he had decided to run, really run, there's no way I would have caught him. I dashed out after him, in my socks, and he taunted me by running from neighbour's yard to neighbour's yard. Thank GAWD he decided to stop at our elderly neighbour Mary's lawn, and proceeded to have explosive diarrhea all over it.

I hauled him home by the scruff of his neck, still shaking.

(((((HUGS)))))

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure that I shared the story about Sammi sneaking out the garage door and visiting the neighbors pond, :surprise: :surprise:! Just saying none of us is perfect, so don't be kicking yourself!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I know that feeling too. It was when Judy was a youngster and I had Mitzi and Judy in the car when I stopped at WalMart. Judy was in a harness attached to a seatbelt. When I opened the door to get out, Judy somehow backed out of her harness and bolted across the busy parking lot. With the car door open, I took off after her. (Good girl Mitzi stayed in the car even though she could have gone too.) I got lucky and some people coming out caught her and held her until I could get to her. Now M&J are very good at "stay" when the car door opens, but Bruno has to learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast