Meet Belvedere (pics and story)
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet Belvedere (pics and story)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultMeet Belvedere (pics and story)

OK, I am starving (haven't eaten tooday), but I wanted to post this first. Hopefully it won't be too rambling.

We went this morning to pick up Belvedere. Belvedere's owner had a stroke about three weeks ago. The owner is now paralyzed on the left side of his body, and won't be coming home. :'(

The owner's parents, who are in their very late 80's, have been caring for him. They did the best they could, but a young Lab is just too much for senior citizens. So, Belvedere has been living in the cab of a pickup truck for three weeks.

When he wasn't in the cab of the truck, he was tied to the truck. :'(

They are sweet people, but really just didn't have a clue how to take care of him. I asked where the son took him to the vet: "Oh, he hasn't been to the vet in a long time."

Me: "Longer than a year, do you think?"

"Oh yes, much longer than that."

So, Belv has not been to the vet, and I also learned he has been eating food from the dollar store.

We pulled around back and there he was, sitting in the front of the pickup truck. When I approached he began pawing the window to get out. It was so sad, but I couldn't let on, so I just continued to ask questions about him...my friend from work was there too, and I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Kevin walked him around the yard and he peed several times, and drank a bowl full of water.

Belvedere was, as you can well imagine, very excited to be out of the truck. There was a lot of pulling Kevin around on the leash, and he is quite the jumper, as in jumping up. But I really don't know if it's fair to judge him too harshly on this. After all, he's been living in a truck, and I am guessing it has been a rare occasion that he's been out of it this past three weeks. He was especially attracted to jumping up on me, which I didn't really discourage, because I think the poor thing is probably starved for human contact.

The man was very upset about his son, of course, and really hated that the dog had to go, but he is just too much for them. He said he wasn't sure if or when he was going to tell his son the dog was gone. :'( :'( :'( Then he started to cry. Belvedere, meanwhile, kept checking his owner's car, hoping he would be in there.

It was one of the saddest things I've ever witnessed.

So, we put Belv in the back of the Volvo and took him away. He cried quite a bit, and was only briefly comforted by feeding him little bits of cheese. Which I did for the entire 45 minute drive.

Mom and Dad had offered to watch him for us, but he was so wound up I was really not sure about taking him there either. Mom could handle him - she is strong as an ox...she has always been able to walk the boys on flat collars. But it's Dad I worry about. He doesn't weigh much more than I do, and his balance is not so great. I would be worried Belv would jump and knock him over. So...I can't put Dad in jeopardy.

We decided to take him straight to the vet and board him there until I can figure something out for him. I really wish we could bring him here, but neighborhood rules only allow two dogs. I think he just needs to run, and socialize a bit, and he'd be OK.

Anyway. Not ideal, but better than the cab of a pickup.

So, at the vet, things went very well. Surprisingly well. Belv is healthy as a horse. No parasites, HW negative, and he is in fabulous physical condition. He got his HW med today, and all his shots. He does need to be neutered...he has a little humping issue. I haven't decided whether I'm going to go ahead and do that, but I will decide today. Other than that, I think he just needs a chance at a good home, an active home, somewhere where he could be exercised and maybe get a little training. It is my understanding that he stayed in the house with the son, so he is house trained.

Can you imagine, going from living in a home with someone who loved you, to being relegated to the cab of a pickup with very little human contact? I can only imagine how confused this boy must be. I really, really hated leaving him at the vet's. But they are sweet - they have helped me before with a stray.

Here is Belvedere. He weighs about 50 pounds and the vet guesses him to be 2-3 years old.

Head tilt!

Waiting at vet's office. He is not as tall as he looks in this picture. He's smaller than my boys.

Thanks for looking. Please keep him in mind if you hear of a GOOD home.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Meet Belvedere (pics and story)

What a sad story! Its grat your helping him out, i hope he finds his forever home soon :'(

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

What a sweet boy and what a heartbreaking story! Thank you for helping him, hope he finds a good home real soon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Oh how sad. You are right about how confused he must be. Thanks for taking care of him. I hope he finds a loving home soon.

Anne is offline Senior Member

Handsome boy, Connie. I saw (in your other post) that TN does not have an active Lab rescue. Have you considered contacting a Golden (or Chessie?) rescue for help? I know everyone is inundated with dogs, but Belvedere's is special. Poor boy.

Glad he has you in his corner!

Murphy, Riley, and Piper

Mirabella is offline Senior Member

Connie - blessings to you and Kevin for helping this poor boy out. I hope he will find a great home.

Awww, he is very cute!

Thank God that you are able to help him out.

Thank you!

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Connie you're a saint! Please keep us updated on Belvedere's future

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

bibber is offline Senior Member

Oh, Connie. How sad, for his owner, the parents, for Belvedere. I'm so glad you were able to get him, and hope he finds a home very soon.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

Very sad. He looks like a nice boy. Are there not any rescues near you?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast