Help picking a new food

Thread: Help picking a new food

DefaultHelp picking a new food

I need to find Fergus a new food. He's been on Eagle Packs Holistic Chicken & Rice since adulthood (appox. 2yrs.) and was on their Puppy Formula before that. It's been increasingly difficult to find Eagle Pack locally and have been getting it special ordered for the last year. Last time we picked him up a bag they had increased the price so now it's costing us over $70 a bag :surprise: I don't really have any issue with paying more money for a good food, but $70+ hit us alittle hard and with the hassle of special ordering it all the time we thought maybe we'd see if there was something else out there???

I don't have a lot of knowledge on dog food and what makes a good one & what doesn't and could use some help. Any suggestions would be great! Fergus is not at all picky and hasn't had any issues with sensitivities of any sort. There just seems to be so many to choose from nowadays & it's a bit overwhelming! Also, what do the fat & protein % mean??? Is there certain numbers that I should be focused on?? Fergus is young (3yrs) and pretty active & well exercised if that makes a difference!

Thanks for any suggestions you could offer!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Help picking a new food

I just saw you are in Canada. I order from heartypet.com and k9cuisine.com
    They have specials on the Eagle Pack and several times a month I get an email for half off or free shipping. Last month, I got 2 bags (30lb bags) for less than $100!!! They is cheaper than what I have found it locally.
    Before that, I was using Kirkland Chicken and Rice from Costco. I switched them all to EP since Dutch is on it and it's just easier to do one food.

I use blue buffalo holistic salmon food with tuck who's had some skin/ear issues and i love it.. well.. he loves it..

if your pup doesn't have any problems with allergies, that makes the decision even harder though.. =)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

The boys are doing splendidly on CORE, the ocean variety. I use the low-cal chicken kind to add a bit to their green beans at night as a treat, but I hold back a little of their dinner to cover the calories.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

We feed our lab Royal Canin Labrador formula. Although that's probably just as expensive, so maybe not a good choice!