the problem with fosters...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the problem with fosters...

Defaultthe problem with fosters...

Is having absolutely no idea what their home-life was like..

Koda is a very sweet girl.. because she needs surgery she spends a large part of her day in a crate until we can accommodate that.. she has some growling issues with food and bones and such.. and with people while in her crate.. i figured it was just the being in her crate thing.. you know.. not able to defend herself..

So when my dad was here (the man i got my love of dogs from) i let her out and she still growled at him.. she seems to prefer women over men and that makes me wonder wtf happened in her last home.. i know the previous owner told me her husband wasn't a dog person.. but i'm thinking there's more to that story..

My mom and her friend were over last week.. my mom is scared of her, but her friend got all kinds of koda love and affection.. not a single growl.

I hope she gets over this eventually.. my dad is for sure one person this girl should have on her side.. he's as big a softy as me when it comes to dogs.. probably moreso.. he spoils tuck way more than i do =)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: the problem with fosters...

how is she outside of the crate...and are you keeping her crated just to keep her from playing with Tuck?
    Maybe she was not socialized with men that much. It would be good for you dad to feed her; give her treats when he is there.

outside the crate she still growls.. hmm.. bribing is good.. i'll try that and see how it goes.. hopefully she doesn't bite his hand off =)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Definitely have him treat her, but have him just hold the treat and let her go to him to get it. She will have to learn that all men are not abusive, and that might take a little time. Who knows what the previous man in her life may have done to her? Seeing your dad interact with Tuck will also help her.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

I have this problem with Halle as well and she is a rescue She just doesn't like men, she has gotten over her fear of some like the ones she see a lot of but strangers we meet on our walks, if it is a male she will growl as well as little children. I personallythinks she is scared. It is embarrassing People look at you like you have a dog who growls. I have had a few people who understand and I always carry treats and they are sooooo good about taking the time to talk to her and give her a treat.

Liz Halle and Maverick

My last lab, Tucson, had been beaten and starved by "a man." For the rest of her life she did not trust men. She would warm up after a while but I still had to keep an eye on her because she had fear aggression.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Growling is fear not hatred Kell ! I agree with the feeding - treats etc ! No way should she be wary of your Dad - a dog lover ! it's just fear of the unlnown - perhaps male initiated in her past life ??

georgie is offline Senior Member

I agree with the other posters. Let your dad give her treats....but on her terms. She should come to him for the treats. It is sad that people abuse these dogs. But once she has no fear of your dad...I bet things will be better.
    I wonder if a man did abuse her and that is what is causing this fear growling.

Was going to say as everyone else has... maybe have your dad sit on the floor, and not make eye contact with her, but hold out treats. ?

Let your dad take her for a walk, too. Just she and your dad. and the treats thing. and yes, it's fear. sounds like she might have been socialized a lot, so the more people she is around; the better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast