So guess what I'm doing tomorrow morning?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So guess what I'm doing tomorrow morning?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultSo guess what I'm doing tomorrow morning?

I am going to pick up a chocolate Lab.

Not for me. We have a two-dog limit in our neighborhood, and even if we didn't, two is definitely my personal limit.

I guess I am rescuing this dog. A girl at work brought him to my attention yesterday, and it was such a sad story, I just couldn't stand it. Apparently his owner had a stroke and has lost the use of the entire left side of his body. The owner's parents, who are my friend's neighbors, have the dog now. I spoke with them last night. They are in their late 80s, and very sweet but were very unprepared to suddenly inherit a large dog. The dog has been living in the cab of the man's pickup truck.

The man had an appointment to take the dog to the "shelter" today at 11:00. I could not bear the thought of a dog losing his home and his owner, and then going to a shelter or pound to be put to sleep. So, I told him if he would not keep his appointment, I would find the dog a home. :scare:

All I know about this dog is that he is four years old, chocolate with gold eyes, and that he probably walks on a leash well (the man said he took him for walks, so I'm assuming that was on a leash, and this guy sounds very old, so I'm thinking that translates to "good on leash..."?).

We will pick him up tomorrow morning at 9:30. Mom has volunteered to keep him until I can figure out what my plan is. We will just see how it goes tomorrow morning when I meet him.

I am open for suggestions. I just couldn't let him go to the shelter.

We don't have an active Lab rescue in TN.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: So guess what I'm doing tomorrow morning?

Good on ya Connie. I will send you some prayers to help him find the right home

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Connie, you are a good and kind soul. I hope this boy finds a good home. How sad about his owner. I think I would be doublely depressed to have "lost" my dogs, along with having a stroke.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

what a heartbreaking story. it's wonderful that you are going to help.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

justine is offline Senior Member

Wish I was closer or I'd know of the perfect person to help ya..

I am sure that the man who's dog you are helping would feel much better knowing someone like you was taking care of his dog, rather than just dropping it off at the pound.

I feel sorry for the guy and his dog.. Best of luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by kal3idoscope
    Wish I was closer or I'd know of the perfect person to help ya..

I am sure that the man who's dog you are helping would feel much better knowing someone like you was taking care of his dog, rather than just dropping it off at the pound.

I feel sorry for the guy and his dog.. Best of luck!!
    Sooo, how far away are you anyway?

Thank you, that is why I had to do it. It is my WORST nightmare that something would happen to me and Kevin and the dogs would end up in the shelter. My mom knows what to do, and Angus has a godmother here I have someone who I would like to ask to be Simon's godmother too, but haven't gotten around to asking yet. I am going to send her an email this weekend. We are working on a will that would state our wishes and leave something for them. I need to get off the stick and do that.

But anyway, I can so imagine that if my parents didn't know any better, they would think the shelter was a good option too. The man I was talking to, bless his heart, did not have a clue. He said, "Well I'm gonna take him on down to that place, you know, the "Animal Keepers." They have 50 dogs down there and they feed them and take care of them and find them homes."

:no: :no: :no:

I really don't know *what* kind of relationship the owner had with his dog, but I am working on the assumption that he cared about him and would care what happened to him. I want to do for this dog what I would want someone to do for mine.

I am so nervous this morning. I have no idea about this dog. I don't know whether he's ever been to a vet, if he's had heartworm medicine, if he has a nice personality. PLEASE, let him be a good boy. I have committed to the guy to take him no matter what. But you know, if he's half wild, I simply can't take him to Mom and Dad's house. Just say a little prayer that we have an easy job ahead of us.

Connie and "The Boys":

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I will post something later today. Have to talk with a neighbor that has an ailing senior. If they are interested, and meet your criteria, we wold have to figure out transport from TN to MN.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Good luck. That is so sad all the way around. But there is hope the fellow will find a good home.

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    I will post something later today. Have to talk with a neighbor that has an ailing senior. If they are interested, and meet your criteria, we wold have to figure out transport from TN to MN.
    Yes, please let me know! Thanks - I really appreciate your help.

Connie and "The Boys":

Wish me luck. We're on our way out the door now. I'll update as soon as I get back (might be a while...I have no idea what's going to need to be done today at this point).

Connie and "The Boys":

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast