Gentle Leaders & Similar Products...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gentle Leaders & Similar Products...

justine is offline Senior Member

DefaultGentle Leaders & Similar Products...

Do they actually work? Abbey is still a pretty bad puller on walks, even though I have consistently used the prong collar to train her not to do it. With the prong collar, she's an angel because she knows that she's wearing it.

I've seen them on TV shows and other people using them, but I'm kind of skeptical to pay the 15-20 bucks just to find that it doesn't work.

I'm sure some of you have tried the Gentle Leader or something similar... so have you had any success??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Gentle Leaders & Similar Products...

Not really Alfie still strains against the GL and it ends up in his eye I think the problem I have is his legs are too long! Therefore his stride is bigger than mine hence why he cant stay at my side..thats my excuse anyway as he does know what heel means, its getting him to stay there thats the problem

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I used a Gentle Leader for a few months. It stopped the pulling on the lead, and after the few months I stopped using it. It did its job. That is all the value that I saw in it.

PS: I forgot to mention. HK hated it. Would often refuse to move from a sit or down position with it on. Would lay on the ground and try to rub or paw it off. Eventually she accepted it, and then figured out to not pull and I would take it off.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It definatly stops the pulling for my dogs but they really don't like them on and Mocha paws at hers trying to get it off most of the time. They are also still only a training tool without having it on she still pulls like a sled dog even though she's an angel with it on.

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I tried it for a few weeks and he definitely stopped pulling. The problem I had was that every chance he got he would roll around on the ground and rub his face to try to get it off. He would pick his front paws up extra high and rub at it with every step (right paw forward and up to hit the nose loop, left foot forward and up to hit the nose loop). It took us twice as long to go for a walk. I have seen other dogs walk perfectly with it, so perhaps I didn't try it long enough. The other problem I had was that people thought it was a muzzle, and assumed that he was dangerous.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer
    I tried it for a few weeks and he definitely stopped pulling. The problem I had was that every chance he got he would roll around on the ground and rub his face to try to get it off. He would pick his front paws up extra high and rub at it with every step (right paw forward and up to hit the nose loop, left foot forward and up to hit the nose loop). It took us twice as long to go for a walk. I have seen other dogs walk perfectly with it, so perhaps I didn't try it long enough. The other problem I had was that people thought it was a muzzle, and assumed that he was dangerous.
    Ive walked dogs that walk perfect on it from day 1 Alfie never seems to get the hang of heeling ive spent £££'s on GL and harnesses, leads collars and he still pulls. Ive done training, walking other way, stopping, clickers he just dont get it! lol

justine is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf
    Ive walked dogs that walk perfect on it from day 1 Alfie never seems to get the hang of heeling ive spent £££'s on GL and harnesses, leads collars and he still pulls. Ive done training, walking other way, stopping, clickers he just dont get it! lol
    Have you tried the prong collar? It's honestly the only thing I've tried that actually works and is pretty much self-correcting. It looks harsh at first, but if the dog isn't pulling it doesn't hurt. The second the dog pulls, it tightens, telling the dog "hey, stop pulling!"

Labmom2Sun is offline Senior Member

The people who raised Sundance used one on him when he was a pup, and I've recently started using it on weekends because he's been pulling on our walks. I've found that it definitely works, especially when we're walking around lots of distractions that make him want to speed up.

He tolerates it but occasionally acts like I'm killing him, though. I adjust, check, and recheck the harness, and am quite sure it's not rubbing him or hurting him, but he'll paw at his face when we return from our walks. "Get this thing OFFA me!" I suspect he's just being a drama queen, but it makes me feel bad.

On most days, I leave the harness at home and give him praise and treats for heeling nicely.

Laura, mom of Sundance, CGC
    born 1/16/06

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Adapted from a previous post I made.

If you're not going to work consistently on the training to heel, my vote goes to either the Gentle Leader "Easy Walk" or to the "Sens-Sation" (similar product) body harnesses.

The "GL" head collar (or =) switches the dog's head to the side when it surges forward; when it can't see where it would be going, it slows down.

One problem with the head collar, though, is that many dogs resent the strap over the muzzle. About 10-15% NEVER adapt to it and continually paw at it, trying to get it off. Maybe 30% tolerate it -- it means going to worthwhile places. And the rest have no problem with it.

Another cosmetic problem is that Puff's fur beneath the over-the-muzzle strap turned whitish-gray -- advanced aging. She now has a light streak across her muzzle.

The "Easy Walk" and the "Sens-Sation" body harnesses work on similar principles as the head collars in that they turn the dog. The point of attachment of the leash is in the center of the dog's chest. So a pull turns the dog to one side or another.

We've used a variety of collars and harnesses.

I bought an Gentle Leader "Easy Walk" and FAR prefer it to the "Gentle Leader" head collar I'd previously used. Heeling isn't usually a really big deal for me with Puff. If she stays within, say, a couple/several feet of my legs, that's fine.

Puff hates the over the muzzle strap of the oriiginal "Gentle Leader" HH.

We came to an understanding that, if she'd briefly tolerate it, I'd leave it on no longer than necessary. I loosen up the over the muzzle strap to the point she could easily pull it off but that also lets ME easily do that. So I can reach down with a finger and convert it from a collar leash to a head halter leash within a few seconds -- and just as quickly convert it back again.

The GL "Easy Walk" lacks that instant conversion capability but the acceptance is FAR better.

The major problem with the "Easy Walk" is in getting it adjusted properly. It took us a lot of readjusting to get it right.

And you CAN train with it if you so desire.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Quote Originally Posted by kal3idoscope
    Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf
    Have you tried the prong collar? It's honestly the only thing I've tried that actually works and is pretty much self-correcting. It looks harsh at first, but if the dog isn't pulling it doesn't hurt. The second the dog pulls, it tightens, telling the dog "hey, stop pulling!"
    As far as i know they dont do them over here, they do them on ebay but i would ideally like to get one in a pet shop so its fitted properly, does it work the same as a choke chain? If so we have one of those lol

Bob I have the easy walk harness...makes him worse :no:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast