Does anyone use a treadmill with their dog?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use a treadmill with their dog?

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultDoes anyone use a treadmill with their dog?

I take Bauer on 2 long walks a day. I have been thinking ahead to winter, and getting a little nervous. I live in a rural area (about 8 miles from sidewalks). Depending on the snow there could be days that walking down our country road won't be safe. I have 2 treadmills, and was thinking that perhaps we could walk side by side on the treadmills on days that it wouldn't be safe to walk outside. Does anyone do this, and if so, how do I get him started?
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

joflake is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Does anyone use a treadmill with their dog?

I have the same situation as you and would love to know the answer. I've seen dogs on tv do this, there's no reason why we can't. I'm just not sure how to start.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

I have seen it done but be careful. Can you not play a few good games of fetch in the yard when you cant get out~?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you need to buy yourself a good warn winter outfit for yourself, need to work on off lead recall really hard, daily, multiple time a day. If you are rural, it is critical. So, if you are dressed warm, the dog is good on recall, then all you need is something to throw for the dog to bring back.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf
    I have seen it done but be careful. Can you not play a few good games of fetch in the yard when you cant get out~?
    Bauer is only 9.5 months old now, and needs LOTS of exercise (I have lost 10 pounds since we brought him home). In addition to the 2 long walks a day, we play a minimum of 4 good games of fetch a day. I use the treadmill in the winter, and was thinking that perhaps we could do it together (I bought a new one last winter so I have 2). I wouldn't leave him on it alone, I would always be right there with him.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer
    Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf
    Bauer is only 9.5 months old now, and needs LOTS of exercise (I have lost 10 pounds since we brought him home). In addition to the 2 long walks a day, we play a minimum of 4 good games of fetch a day. I use the treadmill in the winter, and was thinking that perhaps we could do it together (I bought a new one last winter so I have 2). I wouldn't leave him on it alone, I would always be right there with him.
    I meant hip wise its alot of running on a hard-ish surface

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Sounds like you need to buy yourself a good warn winter outfit for yourself, need to work on off lead recall really hard, daily, multiple time a day. If you are rural, it is critical. So, if you are dressed warm, the dog is good on recall, then all you need is something to throw for the dog to bring back.
    I have lived in MI for 36 years . . . I am very prepared for the cold weather of winter. Bauer has great recall, and loves to play outside. I have almost 3 acres of land for him to play in. As long as it is safe I will continue to walk him on our normal routes twice a day. My concern is for the days that it is not safe (snow piled up on the side of the road and no where to walk).
    Debi and Bauer

justine is offline Senior Member

Hmm. I've only heard of people using those as part of therapy/rehab. I don't think Abbey would even stay on the thing.. she would lose interest in about 30 seconds. :whatever:

I'm also not sure about his age, because it could be considered 'forced' exercise. I thought bike rides would be a good idea to drain energy with Abbey, but since they are basically attached to the bike, it's forced exercise which isn't good for their bones until they are full grown at about 2 years.

I'm waiting for others to chime in, too, but with Abbey, even as a pup, using the Chuckit in the winter a few times a day got her tired. We still walked outside and she made me faceplant in the snow a few times (HAH!), but not nearly as far. Have you tried playing fetch with a Chuckit with her??

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer
    Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    I have lived in MI for 36 years . . . I am very prepared for the cold weather of winter. Bauer has great recall, and loves to play outside. I have almost 3 acres of land for him to play in. As long as it is safe I will continue to walk him on our normal routes twice a day. My concern is for the days that it is not safe (snow piled up on the side of the road and no where to walk).
    I was not trying to attack you. I don't know you. I guess you are just interested in information relative to potential indoor exercise. Sounds like you have a great dog, and enough land to get him exercise. Peace!
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I know many handlers of show dogs do it just because they don´t have the time (or will) to exercise all their dogs. My concern would be if you both fit comfortably in the treadmill.

I would try it, if he enjoys it, why not do it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast