Question for the people who leave their dogs indoors
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for the people who leave their dogs indoors

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion for the people who leave their dogs indoors

OK, so while we were away Dave's parents left Milly and their sheltie Bailey indoors while they were out and about and uncrated for hours at a time. Milly did fabulously so I tried her today at home for 2 hours and she was perfect!! I was very shocked and I am still very cautious about it all but well done to Milly so far!

My question is, do any of you leave your dogs indoors and uncrated for more than 3-4 hours at a time on their own? If you do, does your lab have a place (like a fake grass tray thing) to relieve itself or do they simply just hold it till you get home?

The reason why I ask is that because when it's extremely hot (and we appear to be going to have a very hot summer this year with days in Spring reaching the mid 30's -- equivalent to the 90's in farenheit I think -- ) I have been thinking about leaving Milly indoors with air conditioning on while we're out if she continues this good behaviour.

cheers Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

DefaultRe: Question for the people who leave their dogs indoors

Hey Sarah have you thought about getting a dog door? I've had one for about 20 years & it makes life so much easier. As long as you have a fully fenced yard & keep the gates padlocked at all times it solves all the the problems. Much more fun for the dog too.

Quote Originally Posted by garthc
    Hey Sarah have you thought about getting a dog door? I've had one for about 20 years & it makes life so much easier. As long as you have a fully fenced yard & keep the gates padlocked at all times it solves all the the problems. Much more fun for the dog too.

do you put the doggie door through your screen door or your wooden door?? that part is confusing for a poor blondie sydney girl

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

It depends on your house. I've had a couple of houses where I haven't had screen doors so just installed them in the wooden door. It sounds like your house is like mine & you've got the screen door in which case you can either install it in the wood door & leave the screen door open (which defeats the purpose of having it) or install it in an outside wall. In my case, I installed it in the outside wall of of my kitchen so they can get straight out the back. I was lucky because it's probably the only part of the house where the studs are the same distance apart as the width of the dog door.

It's a tricky job but once you do the first one without wrecking the house, it gets easier. My only problem is I have to get a new flap on mine because Ronnie & Jo came running through it @ about 100mph one day & broke it. I've replaced it a couple of times with a rubber one & they broke that the other day too so now I'm thinking about putting a metal one in. See how tough they are then.

well our house is really old and on brick stilt things (see I got the lingo down pat :whatever and the only place where the back step starts to get to the ground is the back door.... it's gonna be a bit tricky I think... :no:

I'm normally home during the day with my dog so I can let her out, but she's been alone in the house for 6-7 hours before, and she just sleeps. I think having a place inside to relieve themselves would confuse them and make a mess for you.

justine is offline Senior Member

Well how long do you normally leave Milly crated? Abbey was crated up until a couple of months ago, but she was used to being in the crate for about 7-8 hours during the day while everyone was at work/school, so I know she can "hold it" for that long. Abbey is 300% house trained, so I don't ever worry about her going potty inside, as long as I'm back after 8 hours to let her out. If you know how long you leave Milly at home crated without a potty break, it should be the same when she's out of the crate.

I can't have a dog door because I'm in an apartment on the third floor and even when we lived at home, we weren't allowed to have a fenced yard, so the doggie door was never really an option for us. But that shouldn't discourage you from anything!

joflake is offline Senior Member

Both of our dogs are home, uncrated, for 7-8 hours while we are at work. We crated them when they were young but gradually did away with it after they could be trusted. You could do tests with Milly and leave her for longer periods. She is young though still, so expect some backsteps. Our dogs never go in the house unless they are not feeling well, and that is rare.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Ive never crated, both my dogs are shut in the kitchen with bins etc removed lol. Penny can be trusted except she would sit on sofa and bark out window all day and Alfie hasnt chewed anything for months so i think i could trust him but never tried it. They hold their bladders fine until i get home

Samson is offline Senior Member

Jasper used to be indoors from 0730 until 1700 and had no trouble holding his bladder !

Now that I have Dylan I have a sitter that lets them both out a couple of times a day but as soon as I can trust Dylan bladder and destruction wise I will do the same with him !

I think you will find that Millie will hold herself but I don't know if there's a difference with bitches !

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast