Any thoughts on why bleeding huge blood clots vaginally??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on why bleeding huge blood clots vaginally??

DefaultAny thoughts on why bleeding huge blood clots vaginally??

A friend I work with has a 2 1/2 year old black lab female. She was spayed on 10/31 and on 11/8 her son found
    their lab outside bleeding huge blood clots vaginally. They rushed her to the emergency vet where they had
    to sedate her because her blood pressure dropped from the loss of blood. They inserted a tampon I guess and within
    seconds it was soaked in blood. They took x-rays and found no traces of anything wrong inside.
    She was given some blood. The emergency hospital made them pick her up Monday morning and move her
    to their regular vets office. Their vet just had her on IV fluids. She came home Monday night.
    The vet has no idea for the bleeding. My friend is worried that it could happen again while she's at work and that Tequie
    will bleed out with no one home.

Any ideas?? I told her I would post on my wonderful lab board and maybe someone would know of something that maybe
    it could be. TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Any thoughts on why bleeding huge blood clots vaginally??

I have no idea but poor Tequie. I hope she is ok!!! Sending good thoughts to your colleague and to Tequie.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

justine is offline Senior Member

Oh no.. That's horrible! I'm guessing something might have gone wrong with the spaying..? I would be a nervous wreck if I were her!!! *bites nails* :'( Poor girl.

I'm assuming their normal vet did the spaying procedure? I would go somewhere else.. Is there perhaps a university nearby that has a teaching hospital?? They generally know their stuff a lot more than the regular vets and they have the best equipment to solve something like that.

I take it your friend is somewhere outside of Cleveland near where you are?

Ohio State has a teaching hospital there.. I know it's a hike, but I'm sure they know their stuff and could help her.

Ah.. this freaks me out. I reallllly hope someone can help her.. soon. :'( Keep us updated.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

Yes I was thinking about this too and think the same as kal3idoscope.

Do you think it's possible that the regular vet did make a mistake and their comment of "I have no idea what is wrong" is because they realise they may have made a mistake during surgery? I would def. get a second opinion and I would be getting it ASAP.

Poor girl. I can't stop thinking about how much discomfort she must be in. :'(
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I have know I idea, but wanted to add good wishes for the pup, sure hope they find out is wrong! Poor girl and family

MSUlady is offline Senior Member

Did the vets run bloodwork, including a coagulation panel? Sometimes clotting disorders can show up for the first time when a dog is spayed or castrated.

Otis - the most trusting dog on Earth.

joflake is offline Senior Member

I have no idea either, except that something went wrong with the surgery. I would definately take her somewhere else. NOW!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

That title really scared me... thought of Lilo or Bella -glad it's not them.
    It sounds like an internal stitch broke or something like that. If she's not bleeding any longer, she may have healed, but if it were my dog, I would have her to another vet pronto.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I was going to ask if the clots were bright red or dark brown. Which would possibly indicate if it was fresh bleeding or old. I would still take her for a second opinion.
    Please let us know how she is.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUlady
    Did the vets run bloodwork, including a coagulation panel? Sometimes clotting disorders can show up for the first time when a dog is spayed or castrated.
    Yes they did and here is what she said:

Yes, bloodwork was done. She does not have a clotting issue. The reason she bled so much was because her blood pressure was through the roof. Possibly from anxiety from being at the vet. Every time a clot would try to form on the bleeder, her blood pressure would blow it off. Once they doped her and got her BP down, the bleeding stopped.
    According to the vet that did the spay, had the uterine artery ripped or a suture slipped, Tique would have bled internally, not vaginally. That's why she can't figure out what happened.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast