That's why they are called "divers", Remi
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That's why they are called "divers", Remi

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultThat's why they are called "divers", Remi

Between the rains and wind late yesterday, and then again first thing this morning, Carol and I were able to take 6 Redheads and a Canvasback from our wetlands property. Very unsusual to have big water divers visit our shallow 11 acre wetlands. But they were a welcome addition to our meager harvests so far this season.

A couple of them gave Remi absolute fits but she stayed with them until all four of her retrieves were made to hand at Daddy's heel ...

Chasing swimming divers is great learning experience for a young dawg, not to mention even greater entertainment for the owners who were in virtual hysterics watching Remi getting angrier by the moment!

Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: That's why they are called "divers", Remi

Awsome! That is a great picture with that bull canvasback!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Great pics - I love the last one of the two in the tub/shower. I have been monitoring this site for hunting pics from you - today I got my fix! Thanks!

Bev.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Oh MY! Wonderful pics, Jim!

Seamus and Flynn

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Hey Jim, were the ducks still alive?? Is that why they gave Remi fits?

budbud is offline Senior Member

Those ducks sure have beautiful red heads great pictures Jim! Have you had any of them mounted

Quote Originally Posted by rushpuppy
    Hey Jim, were the ducks still alive?? Is that why they gave Remi fits?
    As soon as I posted that I thought ... "Oh boy, I probably shouldn't have said that because some folks who don't understand will be offended."

Let me start by saying that a properly trained Retriever is not only essential to the law abiding hunter, it is an absolutely terrific conservation tool. What I mean by that is very few if any injured waterfowl escape the hunter with a well trained dawg. That's at complete odds with those hunters without a dawg who lose as much as 1/2 of the birds they shoot because they are unable (or unwilling) to go search for them.

Of the different species of ducks, those that feed by completely submerging are known as divers. Redheads, Canvasbacks and Bluebills are examples of them. Mallards, Wigeon, Pintails and other "dabbling ducks" that feed in grain fields or on the water's surface, or by tipping up to feed slightly below it, are called puddle ducks.

Puddlers are not nearly as accustomed to or comfortable with swimming submerged as do the diver species. Some divers can swim 25-30 yards or more completely submerged in an attempt to escape a pursuer. They can repeat that process 6-7 times in a row, coming up only for a breath of air, before becoming so exhausted that they can no longer stay under. A well trained retriever will swim to the spot where the duck went under and then tread water while watching intently for the quarry to resurface. It then renews the pursuit and repeats it as often as needed until they finally catch the duck. On occasion the experienced retriever will actually dive under and pursue the duck at depths you may not believe. Open the pic viewer in this link at look at the choco Lab in the lower left photos diving in Puget Sound to a depth of 18' to retrieve a piece of PVC pipe! http://www.aquaphotos.com/store.html

Back to your original question ... Yes, injured but still quite lively ducks and geese present a real challenge to a young retriever and sometimes they drive one to the brink of frustration. Just imagine when 2 of 3, or 3 of 4 ducks in a row do that. If the truth be known, I really believe that my two far prefer an injured bird retrieve to a lifeless one laying on the water surface presenting little if any challenge.

The dawg does not kill or even injure the bird in the retrieving process if properly trained. Rather, it delivers the bird to the hunters hand and it is the hunter, who by Federal regulation and sportsman's ethics, dispatches the still-alive bird instantly and painlessly.

(holding my breath now)

Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

ceasersmom is offline Senior Member

Way to go Remi! Love the pics!

Gus adopted 11/2008
    Ceaser adopted 4/2008
    Heidi adopted 4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by budbud
    Those ducks sure have beautiful red heads great pictures Jim! Have you had any of them mounted
    Interesting that you should ask ... we took the drake Redheads and the Canvasback to a local taxidermist this afternoon. If a normal schedule applies, we'll get them back im March or April. I'll post a pic then.

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

No need to hold your breath, Jim. The reason that waterfowl dogs were developed from the St. John's dog was to keep wounded birds from escaping and being shot without being consumed. The alternative is not acceptable to anyone. Remi gets a gold star! Hopefully, I can put up some nice pics once our season opens late this month!
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast