question for breeders.....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question for breeders.....

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Defaultquestion for breeders.....

Since obviously breeders' dogs are not fixed and everyone is fertile, how do you keep from having accidental breedings? And have any of you every had an accidental pregnancy or know of any good, reputable breeder that had that happen?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: question for breeders.....

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake
    Since obviously breeders' dogs are not fixed and everyone is fertile, how do you keep from having accidental breedings?
    Supervise and separate. Mine are house dogs, and obedience trained, so they are out together in the house when I'm awake and completely aware of where they are...but the minute I can't supervise, they're separated. When nobody's in season, they all spend a good chunk of time outside playing together but when someone's in, I rotate-girls in, boys out and vice versa. Again, if I'm out with them, they can all be out.

And have any of you every had an accidental pregnancy or know of any good, reputable breeder that had that happen?
    I've only had intact dogs of both sexes for 3.5 years, accidents can happen to anyone, but I plan on doing everything I can to avoid it.

meandclint is offline Senior Member

Girls are only fertile for about a week every 5 - 8 months so your only talking two weeks out of a year or more that they have to be separated. When not in season they simply act like normal dogs around each other (no humping, etc). Yes I have known of some "oops" litters mostly because the breeder/owner had no idea the girl was in season. They can have a "silent heat" meaning you don't see any blood but the boys sure know!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TheLimpShrimp is offline Senior Member

It can certainly happen: I own a copy of "The Official Book Of the Labrador Retriever" and I remember it mentioned an accident breeding where, if I remember correctly, the stud managed to jump a fence or something and got with the dam. Of course, the only reason it was mentioned was because of the influential titled dogs that resulted from it.
    May have been Candlewood kennels, really not sure tho. Been a while since I've pored over those pages.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Ditto to what Nicole said. Last time Grace went in, it was interesting supervising her, Hudler and the 2 boys. It was the boys' first time experiencing it and their little heads were spinning. And Grace does not correct her boys. Fortunately, she and the boys are very agreeable about crate time.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

It is interesting but from my experience it is male dogs that don´t coexist with females the ones that always try to hump other dogs (males, females, neutered or not)

Out of my biking group (we have 6 labs in the group that come with us mountain biking) the only humpers are one intact male that lives alone, and one spayed female that´s very dominant

Homer is very good with Misha, rarely does he attempt to hump, except for the first week after I get them back together (I separate them when Misha is in heat) and Misha won´t allow him. He has never tried to hump other dogs

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Accidents happen fairly often. In the late 60s we got a gorgeous St. Bernard for a pittance because the bitch had been bred to one dog, and the next day they found a different dog in her pen. He'd scaled two 6' fences to get to her! All three were titled, but the breeder was conscientious and would not sell the puppies with papers.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I only keep girls here. Much easier, just have to watch for naughty strays.

I know of a brother / sister breeding that happened recently, different breed. Makes my skin crawl to wonder what all could have been doubled up on genetically....

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

Meticulous separation during seasons is the only way to prevent oopsies. Also I have had ONE oopsie breeding in 20+ years of breeding. It was a silent heat. I had NO idea, but Garth obviously did. :whatever: The only resulting pup from that breeding is my Ch Karousels High Risk.

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

I must admit that I'm surprised at the accidental breeding replies. I thought everyone would say, "No way, accidental breedings should never happen." Shows how much I know!!

The reason I ask is that a friend of mine who breeds labs had an accidental breeding and it just got me to thinking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast