What do you guys do to help your dogs not smell
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys do to help your dogs not smell

Tundra Aries Guest

DefaultWhat do you guys do to help your dogs not smell

Aries especially smells...I'm wanting to give them a bath, I rarely if ever give them one, they never need it, but lately especially Aries stinks. What's a good way to keep them from smelling, do you guys use anything special if you do wash them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What do you guys do to help your dogs not smell

Well Abbey doesn't really have the typical Lab fur.. thanks to whatever she is mixed with, so she gets stinky pretty quickly.. especially after she goes to the dog park and rolls around with dead birds.. If she rolls in something really nasty, I'll give her a bath. I used a hypo-allergenic shampoo/conditioner maybe once every month or two. If she just stinks, I'll sometimes wash her off with just water. Generally that does the trick and it's a lot easier than a full out bath!

I know some people have mentioned Listerine mixed with water..? But I've never tried that myself.

Good luck. I'll be watching for what other people say.

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

When I bathe mine, I use an oatmeal shampoo. It is supposed to be non drying to their skin and hair. I also use something called Cherry Remo--it is a leave in conditioner that smells really good! (but I use just an eensy bit!)
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

A Swim always helps Alfie

Samson is offline Senior Member

Hmmm I don't think that either of my pups smell but that may be because I'm stinky too LOL

Except when they are wet of course which is all of the time at this time of year !

I have had two beagles and a lab for 12 years and I have always used Panteen shampoo w/conditioner. I've never had any problems with it, it makes their coats shiny and soft & they smell so nice for a long time. Some people say it's bad to use human shampoo on a dog, but I've never had any issues and they don't get dry or itchy skin from it... and I love how they smell...and when they sleep under the covers with me - that's important !!! No stinky doggies in my house !!!

sarah is offline Senior Member

when Milly gets a bit sniffy we giver her a hose down... it generally does a good job. We also have a nice smelling leave in oatmeal conditioner and I usually use a bit of that and brush it through her with her Zoom Groom. I've tried listerine, for me it doesn't last long unless we give her a good hose off first, let her dry and then do the listerine spray.

Poor smelly Aries... he can come live with us!!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

patm is offline Senior Member

Whenever one of my dogs starts to smell more, there is almost always something going on with them , especially because they normally just have a nice, mild doggy smell. The last time was several weeks ago. The dogs were smelling, the house smelled more - I bathed them, shampooed the carpets, cleaned all their bedding - and it wasn't until the next week when my sister was visiting that we realized they were covered with fleas!!! We had not noticed anything until then, not even through all that washing of stuff. Once the fleas were gone, the smell ceased. So I would look to your dog first - fleas? (heaven forbid), allergies? hotspot? Something like that. As for shampooing, I just go to Tractor Supply or Walmart and get what strikes my fance. Oatmeal, or and anit-itch shampoo, I try to get a mild one with conditioners for their coat.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Mine never smell (to my nose) unless they have been rolling in something gross. Then I do the mouthwash cleaning.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I have had two beagles and a lab for 12 years and I have always used Panteen shampoo w/conditioner. I've never had any problems with it, it makes their coats shiny and soft & they smell so nice for a long time. Some people say it's bad to use human shampoo on a dog, but I've never had any issues and they don't get dry or itchy skin from it... and I love how they smell...and when they sleep under the covers with me - that's important !!! No stinky doggies in my house !!!
    Human skin is far more acidic than dog skin. Therefore, the products used in human shampoo are harsher than those used in dog shampoo. So by using human shampoo you are stripping the skin and coat of it's natural oils.

There are plenty of dog shampoos that smell just as nice as human shampoos out there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast