newspaper retriever
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newspaper retriever

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Defaultnewspaper retriever

The delivery dog thread got me thinking. When HK was a little over 6 months old he beat me to the newspaper one morning and carried it into the house. She has done this every morning since. No training, no command, no request. Yes, I did treat her that morning and continue to. Sundays paper is too big/heavy for her to mouth, so she drags the plastic bag with the paper in it to the steps to house door. Are there other dogs that have volunteered for usefull reliable tasks?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: newspaper retriever

Retrieving the Sunday paper was Shadow's chief delight. Most often, it was delivered in two bags because it was so big, so she got to go and get it twice. On the rare days it came in one bag, she would half carry, half drag it, often by the wrong end of the bag. It was the last thing she did on the day she crossed the Bridge, and she was so proud of herself.

Neither Champ nor Buddy cared the least bit about it, and couldn't even be coaxed into carrying it, so we stopped getting the paper.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff retrieves the paper every morning, by now without ever a command, and brings it in following our every morning 40-60 minute offleash walk in the nearby nature preserve. Following that, she gets the remainder of her morning ration of kibble for breakfast.

But that's easy. The car parks in the driveway only 30 feet from the front door. The paper is on the front lawn usually only 15 feet (5 m) from the car.

In one of the homes in which we lived with Bess, our house was about 75-100 yards (60-90 meters) back from the street on the cul-de-sac where we lived. Bess went out every morning and brought back the paper, negotiating many doggie doors to and from to do it.

The only problem was that she always brought back a paper, whether or not the Topeka Capitol-Journal had been delivered or not.

She scoured the neighborhood, bringing back a Kansas City Star, Wall Street Journal, NY Times, Lawrence Journal-World, whatever.

Always a paper.

We had to learn which of our neighbors took which papers in order to return it to them for those days when our Cap-Journal was late or absent.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I don't have newspaper delivery, but Shelby will get my neighbors and take of running with it....

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Theo loves getting the paper. Unfortunately, he's not exceptionally skilled at it. What he likes to do best is grab it and flip it up in the air, and then catch it and run up the stairs. But if he gets the edges first rather than the folded part, he's more likely to tear it before getting it in his mouth. When it's in a plastic bag, the bag usually ends up in shreds before he gets it secured in his mouth. Which sucks because I like to use them as poop bags, and you do NOT want to be surprised by a hole. I don't let him get the Sunday New York Times anymore after one particularly memorable incident that left the A section illegible.

Anyone else have a challenged paper retriever?

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by theoconbrio
    Theo loves getting the paper. Unfortunately, he's not exceptionally skilled at it. What he likes to do best is grab it and flip it up in the air, and then catch it and run up the stairs. But if he gets the edges first rather than the folded part, he's more likely to tear it before getting it in his mouth. When it's in a plastic bag, the bag usually ends up in shreds before he gets it secured in his mouth. Which sucks because I like to use them as poop bags, and you do NOT want to be surprised by a hole. I don't let him get the Sunday New York Times anymore after one particularly memorable incident that left the A section illegible.

Anyone else have a challenged paper retriever?
    You've described Sammi to a tee! Not a reliable paper retriever at all!

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

My mom dropped a key on the ground to our surprise Emma fast took the key from the ground and gave it back to my mom . This happened when Emma was probably not yet a year old. It's amazing how smart they are. She could have just run off with it, but she didn't. She has a big will to please.

Nowadays she loves bring home the paper and carry any other things that fit in her moth and aren't too heavy .
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Our first lab, Heidi(1980-1992) was an excellent newspaper retriever. Whenever I try to get my current labs to do that, they are OK about half the way back when something more important distracts them and they drop it and forget it. They know that the more you do, the more you're expected to do... first the newspaper, then the mail, then slippers....

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Sadie does the same thing. plus she thinks she needs to get the mail

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

It used to be Maddy's job to get the paper. Then I trained Grace to do it, and now it's become Grace's job. I'll eventually train one of the boys to get it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast