OFA Cert - how far back to look?

Thread: OFA Cert - how far back to look?

DefaultOFA Cert - how far back to look?

So the puppy we thought we were going to get may not work out, which means we're basically starting over. I was looking up some dogs on the OFA site, and was wondering how for back to check the line for problems, when considering puppy parents. Anyone with breeder recommendations in WA, let me know! Thanks!

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: OFA Cert - how far back to look?

I like to look at least two or three generations back but more importantly I look for siblings of sire and dam, other offspring they have produced and how consistent the results have been.
    Kim

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by flush puppy
    So the puppy we thought we were going to get may not work out, which means we're basically starting over. I was looking up some dogs on the OFA site, and was wondering how for back to check the line for problems, when considering puppy parents. Anyone with breeder recommendations in WA, let me know! Thanks!

Chris
    The more the merrier... To be honest, I'd like to say 3 generations at least of Good or Excellent hips, normal elbows. Also look at CERF and PRA... and now EIC and CNM (one of the parents should test Clear for each of the last 3 mentioned).

I'm in WA and have a litter on the way, but it may be more than a pet home would want as it's more of a performance breeding. My sweet litter that I basically had presold months ago is likely not going to materialize but I'd be happy to steer you in the right direction if you want to email or PM me. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Laura

BTW, in case you hadn't found, this is a current listing of litters from the PSLRA club: http://www.pslra.org/html/puppyreferral.htm (all litters must have current hip/elbow/eye listings on both parents to be listed)

If you want to tell me what color/sex/type of lab you are looking for, I bet I know several more really nice litters in the works! Anne

Quote Originally Posted by birdbrainz

Chris
    The more the merrier... To be honest, I'd like to say 3 generations at least of Good or Excellent hips, normal elbows. Also look at CERF and PRA... and now EIC and CNM (one of the parents should test Clear for each of the last 3 mentioned).

I'm in WA and have a litter on the way, but it may be more than a pet home would want as it's more of a performance breeding. My sweet litter that I basically had presold months ago is likely not going to materialize but I'd be happy to steer you in the right direction if you want to email or PM me. Anne

So if I find one of the dogs 3 generations back has an issue, I should steer clear? What about siblings or offspring?

And what about a performance breeding would make it more than a pet home would want?

Thanks
    Chris

So if I find one of the dogs 3 generations back has an issue, I should steer clear? What about siblings or offspring?

And what about a performance breeding would make it more than a pet home would want?

Thanks
    Chris
    The grandparents would each have a 25% genetic influence. The great grandparents would have a 12.5% influence... without actually knowing WHAT litter you are talking about (PM me if desired!) I can't tell you much. I would look up the peds on the vertical pedigree option on OFA first off... and look at what was present in each generation.

There are "mellow/soft" litters (like my litter that Jazz would have had) that imo, are perfect for the average suburban family. They are happy to do nothing if need be, but also happy to attend the family on walks,weekend hunts, etc.. They may not have the wherewithall to stand up to performance ring/competition stresses. Performance litters like the one I've got coming are bright and tend to be bolder.. thrive on training and challenge. If you are motivated, they will make you look great as a trainer. If you aren't motivated and lack structure/control in your household, you'll look like the worst doggy parent out there! :death: They are perfect for some homes, but nightmares for others, iow. Mata and Hud are both very outgoing, affectionate dogs (lap dog wanna be's) but they sure need their regular exercise and training too.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

and honestly no matter how deep you look into it these are genetics. It is what it is. If we all had a crystal ball you could breed perfect ALL the time.

crap happens
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbaylabs
    and honestly no matter how deep you look into it these are genetics. It is what it is. If we all had a crystal ball you could breed perfect ALL the time.

crap happens
    Yes, and Stupid happens too. LOL. :surprise:
    I try to help folks avoid Stupid as much as possible!