Anyone heard of this training facility???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard of this training facility???

Joey is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnyone heard of this training facility???

I was recommended a new place to try and was wondering if anyone had heard about it, good, bad?? It's Tollhaven Learning Center, just outside of London Ontario? The trainer is Gloria Mitchell and she seems to be good. She does agility, is also a judge and uses clicker training. The website is www.tollhaven.com. Any feedback would be great, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Anyone heard of this training facility???

Go and watch some classes and see if you 'mesh' with her training style.

She's an accomplished agility competitor, but that doesn't necessarily equate to an accomplished teacher..

millstonekennel is offline Senior Member

I would go and watch some classes, talk to the students and also the instructors. If you like what you see and hear go of it.
    Alicia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    Go and watch some classes and see if you 'mesh' with her training style.

She's an accomplished agility competitor, but that doesn't necessarily equate to an accomplished teacher..
    I know nothing of the facility but I LOVE your tact - BAHAWAWAWAWA
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

kaytris is offline Senior Member

did you hear the name synonymous with road or alleyway as you read that?

(sorry, private joke re. trainer we both know, NOT someone associated with tollhaven though - I haven't had any personal contact with Gloria or her staff...

Joey, are you looking for agility specifically, or obedience?

If agility, I know that there is also Blanche Cooper's place http://www.dreamweaversdt.ca/agility_ddt.html
    at the north end of London... she has a session of foundation agility classes starting the last Sat of Nov, I think, and there's also Middlesex Agility Club http://www.macdogs.com/ but I hear the classes can get pretty large there.

I've not taken classes at either, but agree with Nancy to go and watch a few classes and see if the training style meshes with yours.

As far as obedience goes, we train in KW & Cambridge.

Joey is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestion to go and see a class and find out if it is something that would work for us. I am going to e-mail her tonight.

I took a basic obedience class when I first got Cooper, but I would like to do something a little more advanced and really want to try the clicker method. The class I went to, used the word "yes" as a marker, but still with some voice corrections and everything was fine at first, but then we seemed to be losing a little of our connection somewhere. I have been reading the website that Karen Pryor has and over the past few days, I have gotten rid of the verbal corrections and focused more on the good behaviour and I have seen a big difference in Cooper's attention and desire to work more. I have also been reading on here a lot about training and I want to try something a little different.

Thanks for the other recommendations Felicia, I will check them out, but North London might be a little far for me. We are in St. Thomas and because I don't drive I would have to get a ride, but I'm still willing to look into it. I know it is worth it to drive the distance to get a good trainer and know lots of you go much further, but I'm not sure it would fit into the schedule right now.

I guess I'm looking for some more obedience classes, but I would love to try the agility too, looks like lots of fun for both of us. I have been to a dog park in Toronto a few times that have a few A frames, weave poles, and even a tunnel and Cooper loves playing around on them, so thought I would give it a try.

Thanks again.

Joey, would Mt.Brydges be closer to you?

Dawn is a clicker instructor out there... http://www.clickingwithk9s.com/ We did some classes with her a few years ago, she's really nice!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Have fun Jo!! Just be careful, soon enough you'll be addicted like we are, muahaha!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

brody is offline Senior Member

I love the relationship Blache Cooper has with her dogs ...

I don't know what she's like as a teacher but she's a super nice person
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast