Thought my girl bloated

Thread: Thought my girl bloated

Jade63 is offline Senior Member

DefaultThought my girl bloated

After Mercedes played like a maniac with my neighbors brothers dog, running up anddown the fence til her tongue hung out for a foot..she came in and within an hour her tail went totally limp..then she started the restlessness and pacing..I thought she bloated and was ready to get her to ER vet..then I touched her tail thinking she had something stuck under it...she screamed outloud in much pain...then I remembered reading about cold tail..after a sleepless night I took her straight to the vet soon as they opened.. my vet asked if she was wagging her tail to excess and excercising more than she is used to ..right on both ....for crying out loud does that mean I cannot let her play or wag her tail??? The vet said it is common and could happen again..I thought cold tail was from too much swimming!!! She only played for about 15 min, but it was hard play and a lot of wagging and running.she is 4 and never had this before.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Thought my girl bloated

I've never had this happen either, but I hope she's feeling better.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

labby is offline Senior Member

Cold tail.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/coldtail.html

It can happen if it's wagged too much also.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I hope she feels better soon. I never heard of cold tail either before reading this forum.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Aw, Jade. I know that must have been scary for you. Whenever you've got a good dog down, your heart leaps into your throat. Hope all is much brighter tomorrow!

Seamus and Flynn

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Misha got cold tail last week. I posted about it. It took her 5 days to fully recover and in my case it was due to a sudden weather change and her lying on the wet tile.

The first day she did seem to be in pain but she got better very soon.

It is very sad to have a lab with a sad tail, she didn´t look like a real lab...

Bloat is horrible, my Great Dane had to be PTS because her stomach turned on itself and she had a miserable ending.

Jade63 is offline Senior Member

if I had not seen it with my own eyes I would not believe too much wagging can cause this!!!! People look at me like Iam nuts when I tell them what happened...my poor girl was in soooo much pain. The vet has her on carprofen...iheard this o drug is hard on the stomach,,but the vet said it is low dose and to feed her when takes it. How can I prevent this from happening again..cant she play and wag no more

Amber had this about 5 months ago, from swimming too much. Amber recovered in about 4 days and was back swimming in a week and has goten her tail into fine shape since then. She hasn't had any recurances and she is doing alot more swimming now than that day that caused the "dead tail". Some dogs seem to get it every spring when they first go out, some never get it again, and some get it alot. Alot of people that have experienced it usually treat it at home with Ascriptin (you can get this at most drug stores). It is very painful to the dog and is rather sad to see a lab that has this limp tail. I wouldn't worry about restricting his wagging or play unless he keeps getting cold tail.

Kelly

Mine has had it twice from excessive wagging - I don't worry about it happening - it does go away pretty quickly and buffered childrens aspirin works just fine for the pain.

and - bloat would have her pacing and trying to throw up. The dog is in clear serious distress when they bloat.