Is this normal or are we lucky so far..long

Thread: Is this normal or are we lucky so far..long

DefaultIs this normal or are we lucky so far..long

When we got Casey I expected the worst. I read on here and read about a lot of things these dogs could destroy, misbehaving, jumping on and on. I just finished reading Marley and Me oh wow on that dog.

Casey will be a year old in December (do not recall the day) but I figured no way on earth would I ever expect her to have free roam of the house until at least two years old. Well a month ago I put her kennel away. She has been left repeatedly home alone for over 5 hours and not a problem. Just a happy dog when we get home. No accidents. Nothing chewed or remotely out of place.

On walks we go off leash and she will stay by my side even with other dogs around on leash she stays by me while the others go nuts trying to attack. Cats can be seen on she will not chase them. She lets me know they are there though. I will say we used the gentle leader (face one) until she learned that pulling was no good. My wife will still use it but I have no need for it since she will not pull on me when leashed.

Never challenges the underground fence. Other dogs can walk by on the curb or cats and she will just sit down like with a look on her face like I am all good with this.

Vacuum cleaning the floors....we have to run it into her to move out of the way. Thunder storms she sleeps through them, nothing to be afraid of there. When mowing the lawn she just watches. Loud noise does not bother her.

She comes when she is called, no reward needed other than a pat on the head or maybe scratch an ear.

Fetch oh she just does not tire of it. When we go to the field down the street to play frisbee she acts like she won the lottery. While not perfect on this yet but getting close I can tell her to stay and throw a ball and then she holds and say break and she shoots off like a rocket.

Stays off furniture. Seems to know when I am upset about something and stays clear. She reads my face like a book as to mood.

Chewing has never been an issue on things. There are a couple of teeth dings on my wife's side night table when she would wake up in the morning swing her head to get her attention to wake her up, but never chewed on anything in the house except for things bought for her.

The one thing we have found is we have to be careful about leaving car doors open before we go anywhere with out her prior to leaving if we are going to put her in the house as she will jump for shot gun and be like lets go and it is so hard to tell her out and she does get out but looks a little dejected as to say why can I not go

She also does not understand to well when our children play with a big person ball with neighbor kids in our yard that she is not always welcomed in the game. She does think any thing to do with a ball is just for her.

Keep in mind this is our first dog and I am sure she must be hiding something. I fully expect the dam to break at some point. Is this really normal for a 11 month old lab to behave like this. What she has learned has been just from me. No special training.

I never ever imagined a dog could be so special to a family as she has been to us. It really is so hard to even put into words since I never really wanted a dog that much to begin with but now am like look at what we have been missing. Casey likes nothing more than to just be by us and it is hard for me to grasp at times at how loyal an animal can be like a dog.

It has been sometime since on this website and value all the help from it and that is what got us to this point since it was though the advice of several people here that suggested going through a pro breeder and we did and I do not regret the extra cost up front of doing that as it seems you will pay one way or the other.

Big thanks to everyone on this site

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is this normal or are we lucky so far..long

Awesome!!

I think some dogs are more laid back than others naturally, happens in all breeds. She *may* hit a rebellious streak at around 15-18 months (or so) but from what it sounds like, maybe you'll get REALLY lucky.

Besides, Murphy's law, right? You were prepared for the worst and she turned out great! Had you not been prepared, she would have been a terror!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Garth is offline Registered Users

She sounds like a clone of my boy. Despite some of the horror stories you read, they're not all the same. Jo was more fortunate than others because he had someone home with him all day but there were days when he & the others were left at home for long periods & we never came home to any trouble. I've also got a fully fenced yard & a dog door so they can come & go at will so no doubt that relieves a lot of the boredom. I've never crated nor do I own a crate. I just don't see the need for them.

The only thing you have to watch if she's one of the ones that come running to you with a gift in her mouth for you, is don't leave anything lying around you don't want her picking up. I went out with some friends once. We came home & Jo came running to me with a pair of underpants in his mouth. :embarrass: I had left some laundry in the bathroom & forgotten to put it in the wash. I lost count how many socks I had to repossess off him. He was a real clown.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Have you had her spayed yet? If these traits are hereditary, the pups will be worth a fortune!

Seems like you have a great pup, and probably some very good training by her family along the way.

I was only kidding about breeding her.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

fburke is offline Senior Member

Lucky Lucky Lucky !!! If you’re really feeling left out I could lend you my Willow or Autumn for a few days….there nicknamed Typhoon and Hurricane..

This is what I found after my son forgot to latch Autumns crate one day after about 3 hours.

justine is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by fburke

Lucky Lucky Lucky !!! If you’re really feeling left out I could lend you my Willow or Autumn for a few days….there nicknamed Typhoon and Hurricane..

This is what I found after my son forgot to latch Autumns crate one day after about 3 hours.

:scare: I am so glad that never happened to me.. *knocks on wood*

Sounds like Casey is a great girl. You're very lucky!

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

LUCK!!!
    Cinder was the same way as a pups. She spoiled me.
    Things have never been the same since! LOL
    Kim

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Who knows what a normal lab is. Just as they come in different colors and sizes, they come in different personalities. I think we hear about the naughty labs because we love them so much, we think they are cute in their naughtiness.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I don´t think you have a real labrador retriever, you probably got a furry person instead

Mine have good and bad seasons. Lately they have been terrible. Misha pees inside despite having complete access to the patio, and Homer just decided to scratch a wall and tear up all the paint and finishing leaving the concrete exposed.

I left them with a friend for a couple of days (business trip) and they peed and pooped inside and then decided to step all over it and make a huge mess. I´m so embarrased with my friend...