winter question for dog gear and some pictures of Casey dial up ye be warned

Thread: winter question for dog gear and some pictures of Casey dial up ye be warned

Defaultwinter question for dog gear and some pictures of Casey dial up ye be warned

I am wondering at what temp is dog boots best? Here in Iowa we can have below 0 weather and we would still like to walk Casey a mile or two on a plowed walk path (concrete). Just going out for potty I see no reason for them. Opinions on this. We are also going to order a water resistant jacket thing for walks in the snow just to keep her dry if she will keep it on. Any winter tips would be great. IT gets very cold here and very windy.

Casey shortly after we got her

If no green light to come down stairs I will laser you with my eyes then (couple of weeks ago)

This week out in the leaves

This one makes my back hurt. I do not understand how she can sleep like this :ugly:

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: winter question for dog gear and some pictures of Casey dial up ye be warned

Most labs with proper coats won't need jackets. It gets below 0 here all winter as well, and Rocky, though he has a thin coat, does not need a jacket. Lab fur dries fast so it's not an issue when we get inside either.

I use booties only because we live in the city and they use salt/sand and we talk alot of walks (salt/sand is bad for the paws). MuttLuks have been great, and two years in we have yet to loose one (though it takes a few weeks for them to be "broken in" and until then you have to be very careful not to loose them!)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: winter question for dog gear and some pictures of Casey dial up ye be warned

Hershey Kisses checking in here from MN. -20F is not uncommon here over night, and add the wind chill cold be -50F. Okay, not likely diring the day, but subzero is not uncommon. Dad takes me to the dog park EVERY Sat and Sun morning. We have gotten there when the thermometer in the car has said-15F and a big wind blowing. Dad tried to get something he called a coat on me a couple times. Please note that I said he tried. What's wrong with him, I have a coat on all the time. Sometimes when it is really cold he rubs something called Musher's Secret on my paws. He does it when we walk on the street or sidewalks here. Says it helps my paws when we go where they may have used salt. I don't mind it, but not sure I need it. To tell you a secret, he is the wimp. He puts all this stuff on himself, a big think heavy coat, a hat made from some poor rabbits, and wraps some kind of scarf thing across his face. I can hardly hear him when he calls me.

Nope, us Labs don't need anything. He tells me I should let him put a coat on me because I don't have much of an undercoat. What does he know. He is a peep, I am a dog and it is my coat. If I get too cold, I will just grow some more undercoat to make him happy. Haven't been too cold yet. I can run further, faster, and longer when he gets really cold. Heck, I like it that way, I don't get too hot. Sometimes the icicles that hang from my mouth are cool. If I don't even have to bend down to eat snow if I get thirsty.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

justine is offline Senior Member

Abbey is a Lab mix, so she doesn't really have the thick coat that most Labs have. I do take her for walks and lots of playing outside even in the cold with lots of snow. I don't think I've ever had her out there for more than an hour and she was fine.

I have heard good things about the Musher's Secret and I think I'm going to look into the MuttLuks because of the salt.

I know a lot of dogs will put up with jackets and things of that sort, but I don't really think its necessary. I have a "rain jacket" for Abbey just because she doesn't like to get wet when it's pouring, but I've only used it a couple times..

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

We walk a ton in the winter and Baloo never had a problem. I just tried to stay away from the heavily salted areas. Peanut wears a thick winter coat, and if the temp drops below a certain degree (Usually around -5 C, depending on wind chill) she needs the boots (fleece lined muttluks). They are a royal PITA and I only use them because they are necessary. If she didn't need them I would throw them in the garbage in a heartbeat. The thought actually makes me smile.

Not that they're bad, don't get me wrong. Muttluks are GREAT boots. Warm, stay put and she doesn't mind them. But having to go through the hassle to dress her up every single morning and every single evening I could do without. My own fault for getting a thin coated little dog!

But yah, I would see how she does and go from there. If she seems to be struggling then pick up the boots, but trust me if you don't need them, don't get em!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff and I go out every morning for a 40-60 minute offleash walk in a nearby nature preserve.

In winters, it's sometimes below zero and sometimes with so much snow that I use XC skis or snowshoes for a couple weeks.

We've used "Musher's Secret" for 6 years.

You can check online sources for it -- we got ours from KV-Vet.

Read these reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/review/product...By=addFiveStar
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Our boys play and run much more in snow and cold than they do in nice weather. When it's warm, they will play maybe 20-30 minutes and they are too hot and tired to do anything but go home. In the snow, they will easily play for over an hour and still be ready for more. Neither of them have ever worn a coat or boots.

We live in michigan, where it can get pretty darn cold and windy! The park we go to has no protection from wind in any direction, not even trees, so it get pretty blustery. Bill and I wear everything we can pile on, but the boys are happy as nature made them.

If we walked anywhere there had been sand or salt used, I would use the Musher's Secret on their paws, but we are out in the country, so no need.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Gene Guest

A pure lab needs no protection on walks. My two would stay out all day at -50F if I was with them. Keep them off salted streets, though.