How to Evaluate Pedigree

Thread: How to Evaluate Pedigree

DefaultHow to Evaluate Pedigree

I was mucking about, looking up the lineage of our new puppy. I knew the dam came from good stock (Sandlylands, Dickendall) but I'm finding no mention here of any of the ones on the sire's side. How can I be sure he too comes from good breeding? (or is that a stupid question - entirely possible!) I think our breeder is responsible - I'm just curious, since he was a last minute fill in for the originally planned stud.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: How to Evaluate Pedigree

Well, if you are in the USA, you could check the OFA website ( www.offa.org ) for parents and clearances, they should be there.

You could also google the sire's name and you should get some information about him.

(Or you could PM me and I could check it out for you with the sire's name)

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Sandylands and Dickendall are HUGE names though, so like Melissa said, you can research on line or you can PM her or me or any of the breeders on this site, and they'll usually recognize the kennel names of decent pedigrees.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I just want to add that just because you can't find information about a breeder or kennel online, doesn't mean that they are a bad breeder. Many breeders, particularly small scale ones, don't have websites.

I'm not too familiar with American lines, so I am sure if you PM those that have offered they should be able to help you.

labby is offline Senior Member

Just because the dam has those bloodlines, doesn't mean she comes from good stock. Where are those dogs in her pedigree? If they're more than three generations back, they won't have much influence. There was a breeder here in MI who liked to buy dogs from some of the big breeders here and around the country. He bred them to his nothing stud dogs, ruining any influence those dogs had after a few generations. This person was a puppy mill in every definition of the word. He was a good BS'er which is why he was able to talk others into letting him buy dogs from them.

Just be aware of that in your search of pedigrees. If you want to PM me about the parents' bloodlines, do so.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Just because the dam has those bloodlines, doesn't mean she comes from good stock. Where are those dogs in her pedigree? If they're more than three generations back, they won't have much influence. There was a breeder here in MI who liked to buy dogs from some of the big breeders here and around the country. He bred them to his nothing stud dogs, ruining any influence those dogs had after a few generations. This person was a puppy mill in every definition of the word. He was a good BS'er which is why he was able to talk others into letting him buy dogs from them.

Just be aware of that in your search of pedigrees. If you want to PM me about the parents' bloodlines, do so.
    I agree and was going to ask the same thing...where in the pedigree are we talking? In labs that come from show lines, there's a HUGE probability that they go back to Dickendall and/or Sandylands.

If you're dealing with a good breeder, don't be afraid to ask why they chose to switch stud dogs. You'll want to see that they are doing the health clearances (hips/elbows/eyes at LEAST) and are competing with their dogs. If you're dealing with dogs in the US, you can usually find a pretty good pedigree on www.offa.org, and you can also buy a pedigree from AKC....or you can always ask your breeder for one

The breeder site does list the pedigrees of both, it's just I have no idea which names might mean quality or not. The Sandylands and Dickendall do go back more than 3 generations. I will PM for more info. Thanks!

labby is offline Senior Member

Got it and responded.

Laura

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

LOL...like I found out today that I have Ballyduff Lark in my lines....HA...doubt that's influencing too much...it was 6-8 generations back!

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Here in Mexico a lot of BY breeders are amazing scams... they "invent" their pedigrees without the slightest knowledge, I once saw a guy selling sons of "Rocheby Storming Sea" the foundation sire of my breeder´s line and a full british blooded dog that "interestingly enough" had Dickendall parents (he´s a full Rocheby dog in reality)

Pet stores here sell you AKC registered dogs with prices even higher than what reputable breeders sell their pups for.

It is so easy to get false papers that unless you know the breeder and his dogs, it´s impossible to guarantee the pedigree they "sell" you